• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SIGNAL AND ERROR SUMMA DC-3

mpsinformatica

Hi, since yesterday during the start-up phase my SUMMA DC-3, during the initial check-in, the error of the attached images appears on the screen. Can you kindly tell me what it depends on and what we can control. If it is switched on without material, only the message "CAM SWITCHES STATUS ...." appears, and i press CONTINUE, but then as soon as the material is inserted, the fatal error appears. Otherwise, if the material is already loaded, after the checkdisk, a fatal error appears immediately.
You have solutions ?

Sorry for my English...

Mauro - ITALY

Attachments

• IMG_6784.JPG
    IMG_6784.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6786.JPG
    IMG_6786.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6785.JPG
    IMG_6785.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 143

FrankW

Looks like sensor errors. Or the drive for the clamps. I had that similar at a customers machine, on a DC4. We have kicked that machine because it was too old and have delivered a new DC5.

Summa Europe dont have much spare parts anymore, i was really lost during the first time when still thinking of trying to repair it back in 2019. Fortunately Airmark Seattle (Phil Johnson, here on the board too) had all parts available, and a new machine too after the customer decides to buy a new one, so we could pick up one and flew it to Zurich/Switzerland.

mpsinformatica

Thanks for your answer
The paper gripping clamps work, because they go down and also make classic noise.

For the sensors can you tell me which ones?

If you mean the two photocells, those also work, because when I insert the sheet the clamps lower.

The initial message seems to be, UPPER: DEFECT-OPEN ecc... is not error, but simply message. However, I have never seen this message in the years that I have used it.

Last edited:

FrankW

If the pinch rollers really lower (not only the noise, they physically lower), but the error message appears anyway, then it could be that there is a sensor problem. We had such a problem with the mentioned machine, but with that machine any sensor gives an error, so we have assumed that the mainboard is defective.

I would check if the rollers really move, if yes I would check the mechanism for a sensor which perhaps dont work.

mpsinformatica

The pinch rollers are lowered because then when the fatal error appears and I have to turn off the machine, the material is slightly blocked by the pinchroller that press on the material.
Where do the sensors say where are they located?

Note: before this problem happened I heard a very small metallic noise coming from the side of the cutting unit or in any case from that side. But maybe it has nothing to do with it.

mpsinformatica

Today I opened the SUMMA DC-3 and removed the right cover and found the 2 sensors, but I didn't understand how they could work.
Then looking closer I saw that probably a piece is missing. In the part circled in red of the photo, there was certainly a long pin, which by rotating was going to press and close the two micro switches.
When I opened the plotter, however, I did not find the broken piece inside. Can you tell me how it is done?

Attachments

• IMG_6796_cerchio.jpg
    IMG_6796_cerchio.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 119

FrankW

There have to be a lever who operates that micro switches. It really looks like that this is broken. Perhaps tomorrow in office I could check what spare part do you need to repair it.

mpsinformatica

If you could send me a photo of the broken piece I would be really grateful. I have the option to recreate it with 3D printing as well just in case.
Do you think it's screwed into the hole and the white piece you see in the photo is what's left?

FrankW

Unfortunately, in the Spare Parts Guide, I do not find any picture of that area.

But you will need a pin only who operates the micro switches. Should be easy to reproduce. Regularly, Summa uses Screws to do that.