• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signfoam repairs

Andrew

Hi - Just completed a nice CNC routed sign and have some very minor blemishes to touch up. Anybody tell me what they feel is best to fill in these spots? Would you use an autobody filler with hardner or something else. I assume you would want to do this before priming, but could you confirm? Thanks for your response.

Andy

GT

I would probably prime the piece first before filling in any blemishes. There is a tendency for there to be a "slick shiny spot" where the repair is made if you don't prime first.

Just my personal experience.

Depending on the type of repair, you may want to try creating your own "filler" by rubbing two scrap pieces of HDU together and mixing the dust with a urethane glue such as Gorilla Glue. The repair tends to look more natural than if you used body filler. One reason is that HDU and body filler have different densities and won't sand at the same rate. By using the "homemade filler" instead, the two densities are closer and the sanding will blend better.

Andrew

Thanks GT - I wondered if I could take the routed "dust" from the signfoam and mix it with some Elmers wood glue to accomplish the fill it. Sounds like I can.

GT

You can use the routed "dust", but I wouldn't use Elmers wood glue. The glue dries at a different density. You want to use a urethane glue because it has a lower density and will sand away slightly faster than the substrate.

openwood

sign foam repair

Thanks for the info GT.I agree you should always prime the foam before filling blemishes.If you dont,you will get a shiny spot.I have always used the body filler or spot putty to fill the foam.you have to be careful to not over or underfill the hole or you will be sanding all day.how does that mixture work for rebuilding edge and corner damage.This seems to be the hardest to repair.
Thanks
Brian :unclesam:

Last edited: