• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signlab 5.0 cut and paste problem

dzign

everytime I try to cut and paste an object, I keep getting a 'corner' looking cursor that when I click on the drawing, the object gets pasted. I want to be able to 'cut' something to the clipboard and 'paste' it back into it's original exact location. Help file says it's supposed to do this, but I keep getting the 'corner' cursor. Nothing I've seen anywhere in the menus to change this setting, any ideas? My older version of 4.95 never gave me this problem.

Driving Force

If you snap some guidelines before you cut the object you can set in the same place. Just select the objects and hold down the shift key and click on the right mouse button when the curser is over the middle nub. When you bring something back in you can snap it into the exact same place.

Neil

Why don't you just hit ctrl+D. Set your duplicates to 0,0 in the preferences.

Or are you trying to cut to clipboard, then into another program, then back to Signlab??

dzign

I understand about Control + D, 0,0 prefs, but then, I'm just moving the item to another location after that procedure....The way I design, and the the way the program says it's supposed to work according to its help files regarding cut & pasting, is to copy the object and replace it in its exact position. 4.95 handled it ok... Just wondering if this is a bug in future versions of Signlab, especially when the help files say it's supposed to place a copy in the same position when cut to the clipboard. There are numerous reasons for needing to do this expecially since there aren't adequate layer controls in Signlab. All major drawing programs as well as sign programs have this capability (Flexi, Illustrator, etc.). I have Flexi for the Mac, and I much prefer to use it. For instance, when plotting decals in Flexi, the program automatically puts a nice finish cut on a tiled graphic (actually closes paths where the tile overlap is), not just cutting some long final path at the end of the session after the material has tracked back and forth numerous times; this poor method usually produces inaccuracies in the tiles.
I'm contemplating upgrading Signlab or trading it in for Flexi.

Neil

"The way I design, and the the way the program says it's supposed to work according to its help files regarding cut & pasting, is to copy the object and replace it in its exact position"

Isn't this the same as duplicating??

"There are numerous reasons for needing to do this expecially since there aren't adequate layer controls in Signlab"

Why would you need to do this?? I'm just curious coz I've never found the need to copy & paste objects within Signlab.

dzign

Personal way of doing things I suppose, like if an object is behind an object I'm working on and I want to move it out of the way but need to replace it quickly. But read the help files regarding cut & paste and can anyone tell me why this program won't do what it's supposed to do?

Neil

"like if an object is behind an object I'm working on and I want to move it out of the way but need to replace it quickly."

Then I would just turn off that objects color layer by ctrl clicking it in the shop palette. So I guess Signlab does have layer control in that respect...

dzign

Yes, I understand about this method. But if I have to change its color first, then duplicate it, then ctrl click a color.... wouldn't it be easier to just ctrl X if the program did what it's supposed to do?

Neil

Yep, it sounds easier when you put it like that.
I guess it depends on what you're used to. I've never worked like that, so it doesn't affect me. I remember working at a place that used Gerber's Omega software, and the operator there had to copy & paste everything coz it had no duplicate function.

BTW, I looked for copy & paste in the help file in the new 7.1 and there's nothing in there about it.

I have a similar problem when importing via drag & drop. I can't get it to open where the cursor is located, it always opens on the signblank. From memory you used to be able to override this with the shift button, but I can't get it to work. They may have changed this too......