• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignLab 7 - What's your thoughts on this program?

Dale Horn

If you are an Omega2 user would you replace Omega with SignLab7 ?

Is it my imagination or does SL7 need alot of power to run ? Omega and Flexi 7.5 could run on a P3 with win98SE and 512K RAM. SL7(the demo at least) needs XP and seems sluggish on a 2.6GHz P4 with 1GB RAM. :rolleyes:

geb

I tried the online demo and found it to be sluggish also. I did notice before I tried it, it mentioned due to network traffic there could be an effect on your experience, has nothing to do with the software.

I seen signlab 7 live at a show two weeks ago, although I don't know the power of the computer running it, it was not sluggish at all. It was quite impressive with its versatility to do several tasks very quickly. I hope someone who is running 7 can provide more details on its functionability in relation to the demo, and they're overall experience, but from what I seen at the sign show I will be looking to upgrade to this version as soon as I can.

George

Dale Horn

Thanks Geb, we downloaded the demo and tested it independently of the net so maybe it's just the demo that has the problems. :smile:

geb

I was on Cadlinks website yesterday, but didn't notice anywhere system requirements for Signlab 7. I also have the e6 demo version at work, the real thing at home, and the demo at work is a tad slow.

Hopefully you'll get some answers for your Omega2 question, and any other info anyone has on 7 that use it daily. I know it just started shipping recently, so maybe in time we'll here some feedback for it.

George

Bob Gilliland

In my opinion, the real time online working version of the software hosted on CADlinks site is a liability to the product and far from being the asset that was desired. For anyone brand new to the product, particularly when approaching it with the wish to do spot color work, you will be sorely disappointed.

Unless it gets some attention in the near future, and in the mean time anyway, I would have to recommend folks contact CADlink directly or an authorized reseller and acquire an actual copy of the program to test. You will get a much better “read” of the software and will help you determine if SignLab is in fact a solution for you/your shop.

As great as I feel SignLab is at driving an Edge/Edge2, I wouldn’t recommend a complete abandonment of the Gerber software. Similar to Dale, I’m curious how many folks have committed 100% to SignLab over Omega, and if you don’t mind sharing, why. I’m aware of a few (non Signs101 participants) that have done it, going so far as to even selling their Gerber software.

ernie

I haven't yet installed version 7 on the computer that runs the edge. I have been using my version 6.1e for everything in an attermpt to learn the software. I went through the 2 training CD's but they didn't cover very much in the way of edge output.

I plan to keep Omega2, I like the way it always provides cut lines. I can't tell you how many times I starting outputting to the edge with signlab and then found that I never put in the cut lines!

ernie

nuke

signs since 1999
bob, what are you talking about i am using 6.1e and have no trouble. what are the problems you see with signlab 7, cause we are getting ready to place the order for our shop. I also would like to know if you will be at the sign show in indy, i would really like to talk with you.

geb

nuke, I think Bob was refering to the demo downloads on cadlinks website. They are slow, and don't really give a good discription in reference to the speed of the actual program versus the online demo. I tried the signlab 7 demo on the website, and it was sluggish, nothing compared to the actual signlab 7 I saw live in Mass. If your going to Indy, check it out there, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

George

Bob Gilliland

Thanx George! Nuke, George is correct, I was referring to the demo one can use “online” at CADlink’s site. Major difference between that and the actual program!! The "online" thing leaves a lot to be desired at this point. Anybody that wants to get the best bang out of there Edge(2) machine, it’s a “no question” kind of thing in my view, this is the software to do it. Unfortunately, the online demo doesn't reveal that fact.

This has been a relative problem free release, so the programmers are moving ahead with additional development, some of which will be released with the next service release. There is another “kool” feature that us digital guys should enjoy when this SR is in fact released.

By the way, there have been and will continue to be problems with the software, so please don’t take it that it is completely trouble free (what software is that runs inside MS?). It’s just nice to see the efforts that went into QC and beta are paying off in the fact that they (CADlink) don’t have to work like mad in correcting a bunch of things that should have been addressed before releasing the product. My “wish” is that such behavior continues for future development and that they can rid themselves of the long standing stigmatism that some perceive of the “initial” software releases.

So please, go ahead an upgrade! “I” think it is a great investment, particularly from a thermal standpoint.

As to Indy, at this point, no, I don’t think so. The schedule is very, very tight (has been and will continue to be for some time), so any extra curricular activity that doesn’t actually require me to be “there” physically probably won’t be happening for awhile, unless I can dovetail it to other obligations. Feel free to ask away here, PM it, email it, or call the number listed. Just be aware that I currently may not be able to answer mail or posts or even return phones calls as quickly as I would like.

nuke

signs since 1999
George, just wanted to know if anyone was having problems with 7 and i would like to know if he was going to be at the show, because i would like to meet him and discuss some of the ways to use signlab with the edge, cause i am still learning, thanks for the reply