• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Signlab to HP365 White to Black Gradient

GAPrinting

Hello all,

I have never posted before, but enjoy reading up and learning from everyone else's posts. But I have come across a problem that is causing a lot of aggravation, so maybe someone here can help.
About half a year ago we switched from the HP L26500 to HP 365. As could be expected, especially with latex printers we have run into quite a few colour issues with the new printer; and every one we fix a new issue pops up in its place.

Right now our problem is that white to black gradients are all printing with a magenta or cyan tinge to them. I talked to our tech support for the printer and he suggested disabling the colour profile from signlab, as its the profile that is adding those colours.
After trying many different things in the Cadlink VPM that I thought may disable it, nothing has taken out that tinge. Wondering if anyone has experience with this issue, or if you know how to disable the profiling?

Note, I am awaiting a call back from Cadlink support, but I had talked to them once and they don't know much about the HP Profiling because it is done within the printer. So I am not expecting a lot of help from them.

Thanks!
Jon

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So I don't know anything about Signlab but are you using it as a RIP? Or what are you using to print the files?

Pretty clearly a profile issue, that's for sure.
What profile are you using in the printer? Or is this issue with multiple medias?

GAPrinting

So I don't know anything about Signlab but are you using it as a RIP? Or what are you using to print the files?

Pretty clearly a profile issue, that's for sure.
What profile are you using in the printer? Or is this issue with multiple medias?
I am using signlabs own rip program VPM. We have tried it on multiple medias and it is happening on every one. I agree it is definitely a profile issue, and it happens in vector & jpg files, anything with that gradient in it. The problem with the 365 is since all the profiles are made directly in the printer I cannot just go in through VPM to edit the profile, because it is made externally from my print program.

One thing we are thinking is we may switch over to onyx. We been running this system for a long time with no issues, but now that this is happening we think switching to onyx may be our best bet.

GAPrinting

Well let met just ask, have you ran a color calibration lately to your profile? Changed any printheads lately?
Yes, we have only had the printer for about 5 months, and have run the calibration, and density testing on all the media we use. I have not changed any printheads since getting the machine. And I did run calibration once this issue came up, it didn't help.

Terry01

Just change to any other profile and see if the tinge is still there for a test..The profile provided may have a glitch or not setup properly

GAPrinting

Well 5 months if you print a lot it can be the time to swap some heads.

If you want you can try to print this and share pictures to rule out printer issues. But it should be done without ICC and color correction turned off from rip.

I will check my printheads now to see. Part of the problem is that I don't know how to print without ICC, and colour correction turned off. I think turning off colour correction may solve my problem, but through the RIP program we use I can't figure out how to turn it off.

GAPrinting

Just change to any other profile and see if the tinge is still there for a test..The profile provided may have a glitch or not setup properly
Do you mean a different substrate profile? Because we currently run 3 different profiles for each material we use commonly, I checked them all and they all do the same thing.

GAPrinting

If you print K only is the quality not good enough?
I am not sure how to print K only. In signlab all gradients are automatically created in RGB, there is no way to change that.
Within our rip program there is an option to print either "grey" or "100% black". I have gotten by a couple jobs like this using "grey". But I am worried if I have this gradient in a print with a lot of other colours going on it will mess up other things when checking "grey"

dypinc

The K only input build needs to be removed from color management and assigned K only. If you RIP software is not capable of doing that then you are not going to be able to print it without a CMYK build. What RIP are you using?

GAPrinting

The K only input build needs to be removed from color management and assigned K only. If you RIP software is not capable of doing that then you are not going to be able to print it without a CMYK build. What RIP are you using?
We are using VPM (Signlab's rip)

d fleming

I no longer have a large format printer but ran a full solvent seiko on signlab for 10 years, maybe this will help, maybe not. I used signlabs 3m high perf profile on everything on the seiko. Banner material, cheap vinyl, IJ180, laminate reverse print for windows, all looked the same.

GAPrinting

I no longer have a large format printer but ran a full solvent seiko on signlab for 10 years, maybe this will help, maybe not. I used signlabs 3m high perf profile on everything on the seiko. Banner material, cheap vinyl, IJ180, laminate reverse print for windows, all looked the same.
I was thinking about just running one profile like that, I will give that a shot and see if it helps any, thanks!

GAPrinting

Thanks to the help and replies from all. After 4 seperate calls to signlab support we finally have things fixed. On our last call they found there was an updated driver for the HP 365 (v2.1), as well as a new patch for signlab 10.
Since they were both done at the same time I'm not sure which was causing the issue. But whatever the case our gradients print correctly now.