• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs that float

Colin

Another happy customer...

Navy blue with Imitation gold outline.

Attachments

• Phoenix.jpg
    Phoenix.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

rjssigns

Hmmm... must have a lot of disposable income. Did the transom on a rather large boat. I asked what's up with home port and all these regs? He said by federally registering it he saved over 50K in sales tax.

Colin

That's nice. Fits perfectly.

Thanks, yes, it always is best when the customer opts for the option of paying me a site-visit fee ($40.00) to take all measurements, any colour matching, and assess surface condition and overall scope of the job. I then draw the transom with all hardware, drain holes etc in place, to actual size in the computer. I then have a perfect template to work with. This eliminates any potential problems.

CanuckSigns

Thanks, yes, it always is best when the customer opts for the option of paying me a site-visit fee ($40.00) to take all measurements, any colour matching, and assess surface condition and overall scope of the job. I then draw the transom with all hardware, drain holes etc in place, to actual size in the computer. I then have a perfect template to work with. This eliminates any potential problems.

you only charge $40 for that service? $40 doesn't get most of those boats out of the port.

Colin

you only charge $40 for that service? $40 doesn't get most of those boats out of the port.

Yes, it usually is an hour out of my day, and my rate is $60.00/hr, but I offer it at a reduced rate as an incentive to a) get the job, and b) make sure that I'm not walking into the unknown when I show up to apply the letters. There are many things to take into consideration when lettering a boat, and most people don't appreciate that (including the morons who offer the cheap on-line boat lettering - you know, the ones which use a cookie-cutter method where you pick one of 12 horrific fonts). Most boat owners seem to get fixated on "letter height", when it is in fact the space available that dictates what works.

I recall years ago not charging for going to see their boat, and one day I did 3 visits and none of them resulted in a sale (usually because they found somebody a little less expensive), so that's when I said "enough of that" and started charging for a site visit.

It truly is amazing how many people want you to spend that time going down and "looking at" their boat, and design their boat name, all for free! Never again.

Last edited:

HulkSmash

Nice job!!
We don't do jobs like this because for us there is no money in it.

But when it comes down to going out and measuring a customers vehicle or fleet..or going out to see where and how they want a sign... i wouldn't ever be able to charge them. I'd never get the job.

I guess it's all about where you are.

Colin

But when it comes down to going out and measuring a customers vehicle or fleet..or going out to see where and how they want a sign... i wouldn't ever be able to charge them. I'd never get the job.

I think that often the customer has it in mind that you would and should come and look at the boat/vehicle/site etc for free, as that is standard for many trades, but what they need to appreciate is that those "free estimates" are for jobs at much higher price points, like $10,000 - $20,000 for a roof, and we simply cannot do it for free on a job that will be in the hundreds of dollars.

CanuckSigns

Yes, it usually is an hour out of my day, and my rate is $60.00/hr, but I offer it at a reduced rate as an incentive to a) get the job, and b) make sure that I'm not walking into the unknown when I show up to apply the letters. There are many things to take into consideration when lettering a boat, and most people don't appreciate that (including the morons who offer the cheap on-line boat lettering - you know, the ones which use a cookie-cutter method where you pick one of 12 horrific fonts). Most boat owners seem to get fixated on "letter height", when it is in fact the space available that dictates what works.

I recall years ago not charging for going to see their boat, and one day I did 3 visits and none of them resulted in a sale (usually because they found somebody a little less expensive), so that's when I said "enough of that" and started charging for a site visit.

Fair enough, we have a few customers, particularly in the healthcare industry, where site visits are the norm, we can't charge for them, but fortunately, once they are happy with your work, they usually don't seek out other quotes.
It truly is amazing how many people want you to spend that time going doan and "looking at" their boat, and design their boat name, all for free! Never again.

HulkSmash

I think that often the customer has it in mind that you would and should come and look at the boat/vehicle/site etc for free, as that is standard for many trades, but what they need to appreciate is that those "free estimates" are for jobs at much higher price points, like $10,000 - $20,000 for a roof, and we simply cannot do it for free on a job that will be in the hundreds of dollars.

Completely Agree, which is why we don't do it.

Mosh

Coast guard requires 4" name and call of Port, we do a few big boats a year. Just did a 50' fountain Thursday.

Stuckup

Its tough you know, getting down to the waterside and Walking over expensive yachts, Definately have to charge LOL. I never used to charge for site Surveys, unless long travel was involved, but now with Fuel prices, and parking in a garage in the city at $35 to $50 for first hour, I charge. Simple Site survey is $120, refundable upon acceptance of Job. My best client do their own quotes for me, I honour them, win on most, lose on some. Service and good communication gets higher prices. Dont be afraid to ask what their budget is, many clients will tell you.

Stuckup

As suppliers we see many User clients, and the Clients, most just want a good honest supplier, how many times have we been beaten by a CHEAP price, then get asked to go fix it. Unfortunately I am an Idiot, I wont rip off a desperate person, but more than happy to charge lots for most other jobs. Today, it cost me fuel, and a days work, no money earned, Sunday. The guy does not charge me for work he does for me. Goes around. Then again, tomorrow, $900 for 6 hrs install max, client quoted it. And cheap vehicle wraps, yes I do talk down their price at times lol, damn you for catching me out.

Richard G

the university that i do work for got a new mascot. It's on a 40' anchor line that allows it to move around with the prevailing winds.
So we put it in one of there pond's on campus.
We'll you did say Signs That Float!! Didn't you

NSU-Shark-Fin.jpg