• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Silver Medal on Gerber LT Transfer, FX...

UltraHIVE

hey all, so i have a project of a Tshirt, requires Gerber Silver Medal (chrome) foil, printed on Gerbers LT transfer. ive read that the medal series should not be printed on the LT series vinyl, and i found out why. when heat transfering onto a T, the foil ink melts to the transfer tape, and starts to pull off the vinyl. you would think that the LT Transfer would have some kind of adhesive backing to create some resistance when trying to pull the transfer tape off the material. anyway, i was able do it with a 95% success rate, but i need that 5% more to be right.

heres the question, has anyone tried this? would using Frogskin over the chrome prevent the chrome from pulling up, by pulling up the Frogskin instead?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I didn't either especially since the medals are not designed for reverse read impressions. It's doubtful that they will hold up to even a gentle wash.

UltraHIVE

its not a reverse process with the LT material. i use an clothing iron, for now ;)

project / example...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:

UltraHIVE

the material needs to be printed right reading, plotted, transfer tape removed of the backing paper, then applied directly to the shirt, while keeping the tape on, teflon sheet laid over, then heat pressed. there is no reverse in the design or app process. this is a different type of transfer, based on a specific material for the FX.

the ONLY reversal i had to do was in Photoshop when i took the photo of the T in the mirror, to show it properly on the web.

mrmoto95

the material needs to be printed right reading, plotted, transfer tape removed of the backing paper, then applied directly to the shirt, while keeping the tape on, teflon sheet laid over, then heat pressed. there is no reverse in the design or app process. this is a different type of transfer, based on a specific material for the FX.

the ONLY reversal i had to do was in Photoshop when i took the photo of the T in the mirror, to show it properly on the web.

Seriously? Did you do any research? You cannot use any other foils than L.T. series on Gerbers heat transfer paper 1 or 2. You have to use a completely different material to use any other foils. Colorprint comes to mind, Gerber has a new one also, I know Hyatts sells some, Imprintables Warehouse. I would go on but I am sick to death of people coming and asking the people, who have researched and done the footwork to hone this craft, to give up everything it's taken us years to accumulate. For nothing, to a new competitor.

UltraHIVE

Seriously? Did you do any research? You cannot use any other foils than L.T. series on Gerbers heat transfer paper 1 or 2. You have to use a completely different material to use any other foils. Colorprint comes to mind, Gerber has a new one also, I know Hyatts sells some, Imprintables Warehouse. I would go on but I am sick to death of people coming and asking the people, who have researched and done the footwork to hone this craft, to give up everything it's taken us years to accumulate. For nothing, to a new competitor.

good thing u read the the first post of this thread..
"ive read that the medal series should not be printed on the LT series vinyl, and i found out why. when heat transfering onto a T, the foil ink melts to the transfer tape, and starts to pull off the vinyl."

and then it was cool that u skipped over the image of the tshirt i posted that proves it can be done...

and then it was awesome to lash out like that when im just asking a question about Zeronine Frogskin. but i dont hold grudges, im not here to fight.

:peace!:

UltraHIVE

to add, i learn on my own, do my own "footwork" and even try things that some would say dont work. i have 1 year, 1 month experiance in thermal resin printing, and 3 months screenprinting. what should make u sick is that ive been sucessfully running this business from day 1, and just joined my first printers forum.

iSign

welcome aboard UltraHive... you got a good attitude & will do well here :)

I've done a bunch of edge peinted t-shirts & used the reverse process with LT foils on Gerber's HTP, as well as the forward printing process with regular Gerber & 09 foils on DT White and smartblocker.

I've never tried using a medal foil though.

That pic looks cool, & you said it proves that "it" can be done... but do you know exactly what "it" is on that shirt?

UltraHIVE

thank u sir :)

before further harassment, as im typing this, im looking at the inner label of the transfer roll, cause i feel your asking me a trick question, being prez and all....

its not LT, its ColorPrint CP2100. i honestly thought, for the longest time that i was printing on Gerber LT. somewhere in my brain a synaspe has crossed a neuron creating a DOLT!!! i guess im just a foolish fool ;) sorry bout that...

Bill43mx

I'm not sure that the picture represents your "typical" application (everything chrome) but if it does why not just use something like eco-film and skip the printing step, as well as the transfer taping, altogether? Cut in reverse, weed, and apply.

Browner

... but do you know exactly what "it" is on that shirt?
Too funny.

I did some graphics for the local University's Formula Hybrid Team. Part of the required graphics were a couple of warning labels... "DANGER: 1.21 Jigawatts"

I exclaimed to the person that, "WOW! That's a helluva lotta..." and stopped myself short. :covereyes:

I find that engineers seem to have quite the sense of humor.

UltraHIVE

Too funny.

I did some graphics for the local University's Formula Hybrid Team. Part of the required graphics were a couple of warning labels... "DANGER: 1.21 Jigawatts"

I exclaimed to the person that, "WOW! That's a helluva lotta..." and stopped myself short. :covereyes:

I find that engineers seem to have quite the sense of humor.

finally, a fellow time traveler :rock-n-roll:

UltraHIVE

I'm not sure that the picture represents your "typical" application (everything chrome) but if it does why not just use something like eco-film and skip the printing step, as well as the transfer taping, altogether? Cut in reverse, weed, and apply.

i did not know this.. i will research Eco-film asap. thank u.

UltraHIVE

found it, 19" SPECTRA™ Foil in chrome...

now i just need it cut to 15", and punched for a sprocket feed :)

**edit that: 15" Spectra Alloy will work, need to see if they make a punched roll..

there was a link i found last year for a company overseas, that made sprocket punching machines for vinyl rolls. anyone familiar with that?

Bill43mx

Contact Mike Koval from Imprintables. He's a merchant member here. He may be able to get it punched for you. If not then you can try Thermoflex Plus from Specialty Materials. I like the Eco Film better but I know I've gotten Thermoflex in 15" punched rolls previously.