• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sizing transformer for custom made neon light

Dellview1996

I have a friend who got a custom made neon sign/sculpture and the transformers have gone bad. Unfortunately the two transformer are very old so there is no labeling on what their voltage output was. How can i determine how many volts I need? I don’t want to have too much voltage and damage it. Each transformer controlled 10 of the bulbs, (20 total). The second transformer that is on in the picture partially works but flickers and must also be replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Dellview1996

IMG_3584.jpg
IMG_3588.jpg

Here are some higher quality photos, the first uploads aren't very clear. The bulb sockets say TRANSCO Heat Resisting Houstin CAT. TC-50, 7500 volts. Is a 7500 volt transformer what I need? or is it different since the bulbs are hooked up in series?

Johnny Best

I use to measure the lenght of the neon and find the transformer that fit the size and get the next size up from that to be on the safe side. Transformers must have changed since I changed one out so find an electrical company that sells them and get info from them on what size. Be careful with neon transformers and electricity, it can put you down for good.