• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SJEOOW Cable

SignStudent

A few sign companies in my area are almost exclusively (both interior and exterior) using SJEOOW cable for running power from inside buildings to the channel letters. From everything I've read this does not seem to be up to code (the cable is meant for temporary and/or portable equipment) but they have more experience so maybe I'm just missing something. I'm curious to hear what you all think/know about this practice.

Ryze Signs

Code only applies to high voltage electrical. Low voltage doesn't really have any restrictions. For high voltage we use watertight flexible conduit to get power to the sign. Low voltage applications we use paiges wire.

SignStudent

Code only applies to high voltage electrical. Low voltage doesn't really have any restrictions. For high voltage we use watertight flexible conduit to get power to the sign. Low voltage applications we use paiges wire.
Thanks, but I’m talking about the conductors that run from a nearby 120V junction box to the power supply so it would be 120V.

unclebun

The cable is fine but if they are skipping the use of conduit where they run the cable to and through the wall that would likely be the code violation.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm no electrician but have watched some Youtube. This is portable cable and seems like it would violate the NEC if it's used as the homerun or hardwired. Looks like it can be used to plug a sign into an outlet but the NEC 400.7 specifically states portable signs so that might not even be allowed then passing through a wall with portable cable is a huge no no unless there's some weird provision for this application. As far as putting in conduit, doubt that is allowed either due heat and if it is you would likely lose amperage capacity. You'd have to check cavity fill and could possibly get it to work with oversized EMT if the NEC allows it. You can't strip the outer jacket but if you could, the conductors would likely not be marked which is also not allowed so that isn't a possible work around either. It seems very hack to me with lots of questionable issues, THHN in emt and transition to flex or liquid tight as needed is the right way IMO.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Found this, not sure if it helps with your question. Looks like the run in the wall is romex so you'd think that if going through a wall was up to code, that cable would just run from the TV down to the outlet with no junction boxes to transition.
portable cable.jpg

SignStudent

I did some more reading and briefly thought that channel letters might get a pass as “luminaires” but the restrictions I see on flexible cord usage for luminaires rules that out as well.
I'm no electrician but have watched some Youtube. This is portable cable and seems like it would violate the NEC if it's used as the homerun or hardwired. Looks like it can be used to plug a sign into an outlet but the NEC 400.7 specifically states portable signs so that might not even be allowed then passing through a wall with portable cable is a huge no no unless there's some weird provision for this application. As far as putting in conduit, doubt that is allowed either due heat and if it is you would likely lose amperage capacity. You'd have to check cavity fill and could possibly get it to work with oversized EMT if the NEC allows it. You can't strip the outer jacket but if you could, the conductors would likely not be marked which is also not allowed so that isn't a possible work around either. It seems very hack to me with lots of questionable issues, THHN in emt and transition to flex or liquid tight as needed is the right way IMO.
I did some more reading and briefly thought that channel letters might get a pass as “luminaires” but the restrictions I see on flexible cord usage for luminaires rules that out as well.

Notarealsignguy

Even if you could argue for them being luminaires, you still cant pass that cable through a wall AFAIK. You'd have to properly wire to a junction box that is on the other side of the wall (side where sign is mounted) and then hook into that like you do with exterior flood lighting that comes with a whip.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Whether you wire them yourself, or have a licensed contractor do it, it's all paid for by the customer anyway, and no place to "cheap out" or "wing it". Commercial buildings have strict codes, and get periodic inspections. Violating codes can be very costly if you're caught, and having a failure that results in property damage, injury or death by electrocution or a fire if anything fails is the kind of liability that you don't want. If you're unsure how to do it within code, make your money off the sign & install, sub an electrician to do the feed, bill the customer, and move on to the next job.

Anything through walls must be rigid conduit in commercial buildings, period. If there's an existing external service point, and you have to use flexible to attach a fixture or sign, for whatever reason, wires should be in sheathed, liquid resistant, exterior rated, flexible conduit, not just flexible wire. Adds a few bucks, but you won't have an inspector pull out their citation book if/ when they do an inspection. Conduit also isn't affected by sun and weather damage that can cause failure, can't be chewed through by critters and start a fire that you'll be liable for... That's why they have these codes.