• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SL5 dongle with new printer

Bill Preston

My old desk top printer is on its last legs. New printers seem to only work with USB or Firewire connections. If a new printer is installed using USB, can the dongle be left plugged into the LPT-1 port on the back of the tower even though there is no cable going anywhere, and will SL5 "see" it?

Thanx
bill preston

giantsfan1951

Only got stuck with a dongle application once, and that one only required the dongle. Didn't look any further than to verify and get its info from there.
Anything hooked up after that was superfluous.

geb

Hi Bill. I ran my signlab 5 security key(dongle) through my parallel port for a few years with nothing plugged into it, before I purchased my first printer, scanner, copier, and never had any problems.

George

Bill Preston

:thankyou: Thanx to those who answered. Have also checked with the supply place that I got SL5 from---they agree there should not be a problem.

FWIW, I tried to log in to Cadlink's website to try to find the answer---my password didn't work, and a number of tries to get a new one also didn't work.

New printer has been ordered.

Thanx again

bill preston

idsign

An extra LPT1 card is cheap - if you ever have any problems. You can leave dongle plugged into the onboard LPT port (parallel) and configure printer to use extra LPT1 installed into your expansion slot. Used this setup with Signlab 4.95 without incident or port conflict...after trying ZipPlus parallel connection with throughput to printer. Too many sources trying to make way through one LPT - asking for problems.

Barry

jimdes

FYI - most if not all dongles are very sensative and should NEVER have anything plugged into them. If for any reason the printer were to have a power surge and it were to go through the printer cable into the dongle, it would be ruined.

Barry's information is right on the mark!

For those of you that use expensive software and the price of a replacement dongle is also high, consider adding an LPT port and not mounting the port into the typical external slot. Leave it inside the CPU box. Sticky fingers won't even know it's there!

idsign

Jim,

Thanks for the WARM AND FUZZY! Protect your dongle (your wife with thank you. :biggrin:)

The old addage is that a $200 tube will blow to save a 5 cent fuse! Don't I know it! Static electricity and plugging in a hard drive power cable BACKWARD each cost me dearly.

Oh for the day that all dongle serial numbers will be on USB Cruiser (EPROMS).

VMP internal serial number verification has been fine for me to date. Sure would be nice to plug-and-play USB dongle if I wanted to design in VMP at customer site or on the road. Maybe 3.0 will give us such. Shaun?

The few times I tried to wow the customer with short turn proofs on laptop I got by with Corel, export to .ai to VMP and won the deal!