• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SLX+ Good Idea or Bad

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We have been using IJ40C and 8518 on concrete mixer trucks. Do you think that SLX+ will stay adhered the same considering that these trucks are constantly washed?

Notarealsignguy

I use SLX+ but wasn't sure about this application. 3M adhesive is pretty aggressive.
3m's price on IJ40 is getting pretty close to cast material and figured it would be easier to just use the SLX+ in place of stuff where we use IJ40.
What about Briteline wrapcast vs IJ40?

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, I tossed 40c when it creeped up to something like 400/roll. Might as well sell them ij35, point out the cost savings, and that they could replace them at least twice compared to ij40 (if you pair the ij35 with something like arlon 3420 that is, that 3m matching laminate is high too)
SLX is great, I wouldn't be afraid to use it on concrete trucks, probably want to use 3270 instead of 3170 since it has some curve, but theoretically 3170 would work. (I thought I was getting 3170 on all these printed graphics I'd been shipping out, found out its all been 3270, so I can't speak for 3170 until I try it.)

Notarealsignguy

Yeah, I tossed 40c when it creeped up to something like 400/roll. Might as well sell them ij35, point out the cost savings, and that they could replace them at least twice compared to ij40 (if you pair the ij35 with something like arlon 3420 that is, that 3m matching laminate is high too)
SLX is great, I wouldn't be afraid to use it on concrete trucks, probably want to use 3270 instead of 3170 since it has some curve, but theoretically 3170 would work. (I thought I was getting 3170 on all these printed graphics I'd been shipping out, found out its all been 3270, so I can't speak for 3170 until I try it.)
I should use Substance on these and put the savings in my pocket, doubt they would know or care. $430 for IJ40 now. Doesn't pencil out for a material that still has limitations of a calendared vinyl. I don't like IJ35 but used to use Oracal 3165 with 215 laminate (price also went through the roof on 215) Still see stuff around that's at least 8 years old and looks fine, in the Florida sun on top of it.

JBurton

Signtologist
Doesn't pencil out for a material that still has limitations of a calendared vinyl.
Hey now, I sell the crap out of the stuff and am very upfront about it's life. Like I tried talking a construction company who orders 3 dozen every month of contour cut logos into a better film (slx), they were pretty irate that I was wanting more money for 'the same thing'.
Funny enough, I'm redoing one side of a West facing sign that's from 2018, printed on ij35 that was wrapped around the edges. East face looks fine. It's actually one I've meant to share with that other thread, as even wilder than the 'texture' appearing after years, it looks like it has a drop shadow of burn in... The full face shot is the one they just want cleaned, the opposite side is the close up.
IMG_6091.jpg
IMG_6089.jpg

Substance, I gotta get some in and try it.

Notarealsignguy

Hey now, I sell the crap out of the stuff and am very upfront about it's life. Like I tried talking a construction company who orders 3 dozen every month of contour cut logos into a better film (slx), they were pretty irate that I was wanting more money for 'the same thing'.
Funny enough, I'm redoing one side of a West facing sign that's from 2018, printed on ij35 that was wrapped around the edges. East face looks fine. It's actually one I've meant to share with that other thread, as even wilder than the 'texture' appearing after years, it looks like it has a drop shadow of burn in... The full face shot is the one they just want cleaned, the opposite side is the close up.
View attachment 166488 View attachment 166487

Substance, I gotta get some in and try it.
I meant IJ40 doesn't pencil out. I just don't like IJ35 because it's made in China and has a lot of bad reviews on Grimco.

JBurton

Signtologist
I meant IJ40 doesn't pencil out. I just don't like IJ35 because it's made in China and has a lot of bad reviews on Grimco.
Asked a rep right after that post about them carrying substance. "we already carry avery and 3m, both brands are made in America," All I could say to her was my boxes say Brazil or China... I guess why bother with a distributor if they sell direct.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Asked a rep right after that post about them carrying substance. "we already carry avery and 3m, both brands are made in America," All I could say to her was my boxes say Brazil or China... I guess why bother with a distributor if they sell direct.
A little like dealing with the post office. except... there is no alternative.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Arlon is made in the US and I just visited them today in Placentia, Ca.
Their closest match to ij 40 is 4600.
This is long term Polymeric calendered vinyls and my customers use it for box truck wraps.
Bruce

Notarealsignguy

Buy direct, free shipping, good customer service and it's made in the USA.