• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Snap and Distribute

RiXaX

I've been trying to learn how to work both the SNAP commands and also those for DISTRIBUTE. I suspect there is use for me there, but don't seem to find them intuitive, nor is the manual helpful there. ANyone use these that can tutor me briefly? Thanks

imaSIGNr

Saw your post on Flexiezine...SNAP Aand DISTRIBUTE .I have played a little with these commands and have never really figured what use they had either...
---If you have multiple objects and you want to distribute them in your layout with even spacing among them you would use the distribute command.
---snap to grid-?

I could never get how the deskew worked. To me it does the opposite of what I think it should do.

Last edited:

javila

If you run through the Help file in order they explain each function nicely with examples.

I use snap commands routinely for aligning objects. "Snap to" "point" for example will "click" your cursor into place of a node in an object. "Snap to" "guide" will do the same except it will "click" it to the guides. So on and so forth.

RiXaX

The deskew I use all the time. Say you bring in a scan and it was a bit out of alignment, you can use the deskew command and click on two points that you want to be the horizontal baseline and hit enter and the scan will be straight.

I might take a digital photo and bring it into flexi and want to place a drawn sign on the building or truck, but they are not quite horizontal and I'd like my lettering to not be. I use the deskew function.

What I'm asking for is the step by step details of how to use the snap command. I try it and just don't get anything to happen.

javila

The snaps are options, not commands. They affect objects as you move/create them. Honestly, hit the help file, they are step by step with explanations.

RiXaX

I just went to the help file again and couldn't figure it out. It must be too simple for me to see.

If I select points and hit the snap to point, nothing happens. If I do it the other way around, still nothing moves.

I know there is a way to select a couple points and have them snap to a guideline, but can't figure out the exact sequence. I'm noe asking for help with something where I didn't try doing my homework first.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I just went to the help file again and couldn't figure it out. It must be too simple for me to see.

If I select points and hit the snap to point, nothing happens. If I do it the other way around, still nothing moves.

I know there is a way to select a couple points and have them snap to a guideline, but can't figure out the exact sequence. I'm noe asking for help with something where I didn't try doing my homework first.

You're confused. "Snap" is a characteristic, actually a set of characteristics, that can be turned on and off and effect cursor movement and only cursor movement. Thus selecting some points and the selecting "Snap To Point" does nothing since snap only effects cursor movement. More specifically, it effects cursor movement when dragging or otherwise positioning an object. When you're positioning something and you have the proper snap selected, when the cursor gets within a predetermined number of pixels from an object or feature to which you've selected to snap, the cursor is moved to that feature, thus the term 'snap'.

For example, drag a guideline onto your work area and select "Snap to Guide". Now draw, say, a rectangle and select it. Grab the rectangle somewhere that will allow you to drag it. Drag the rectangle to the guideline you just made. Notice that when the cursor, not the object, but the cursor, gets close to the guideline it changes shape from arrows to a square gun sight looking thing. This tells you that you're in snap range and if you release the drag or select the point, depending on just what you might be doing, with that gun sight displayed it will be as if the cursor was dead smack on the guide line.

The various snap characteristics are invaluable for precise object positioning, without them you'd be lost. Snapping is so fundamental to drawing packages that it's perfectly understandable why the concept isn't fully explained. It would be like an MSWord manual explaining the alphabet.

RiXaX

Thank you very much, Bob.
Is there a setting for the strength of the snap?
I remember using that back in the Casmate day.
It also seems that wherever I select on the object is where it snaps to, rather than being centered or an edge snapping to a guide line.
Is there any adjustment for that?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Is there a setting for the strength of the snap?

Yes, sort of. You can do Edit->Preferences->General and set the Selection Preferences to the number of pixels you want to use as the proximity for recognition of a snap to feature. The larger the number, the farther away you can be from the actual feature and have it be recognized as fodder for a snap.

It also seems that wherever I select on the object is where it snaps to, rather than being centered or an edge snapping to a guide line.
Is there any adjustment for that?

No, the cursor position is what snaps, not the object selected.