• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So this is looking bad... s80600 has been turned off for a week :(

mim

0_o
So we went on vacation on the 23rd and during the storm we lost power. Today I turned it on. So it was probably about 7-10 days that it was completely powered off.
Right now it's doing lots of automatic cleanings and maintenance, been about 15 minutes of cycling, and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on how to handle this situation from there.

Should I be doing anything specific? Is it safe to print some tests or should I be flooding any areas with cleaning solution first?
I don't know.

Kicking myself for not thinking of the printer over vacation, I could've come in and turned it on, but I didn't know we lost power :doh:

mim

0_o
So, I was impatient so I went ahead and did a few things.
First I just did a nozzle check, the initial nozzle check was a disaster.
I did a manual cleaning, I dabbed some cleaning solution on the flush pad, I ran Menu>Maintenance>Head Maintenance>Automatic Head Maintenance and the second nozzle check was much better, but I still have a few missing nozzles.

I did a test print and it had some slight banding but it seems like it will be okay.

I'm still concerned about what kind of damage this might cause that isn't immediately presenting itself. I always hear that you should <b>never</b> leave it off for even a day, so I assume there is reasoning behind that.

Still looking for further advice on that, thank you!

netsol

it certainly wouldn't hurt to do a couple overnight head soaks, pinching off the drain hoses
other than that, it sounds like you dodged the bullet

i always leave something loaded and get someone to do a small print or at least a couple nozzle checks EVERY DAY, if i won be in

ikarasu

I drop by the shop every 2-3 days to check on equipment / Run a small print on our UV and solvent printer. Latex I just ignore... :roflmao:

Theoretically if the machines are turned on you should be fine leaving it for 2 weeks. But why not spend 15 mins every few days to make sure your 20k / 100k machines are working fine and nothing happened to them?

The Epson should have auto capped itself .. so a week off shouldn't be the end of the world, I imagine you'll get all your nozzles back - do a few deep cleanings... Grab a shitty $100 roll of vinyl and print 20-30ft of just c m y k to get the Jets firing. We usually do that on ours if it's had issues, and they always come back.

IndySignPro

Battery Back Ups People! I have them on all of my Printers! (Including an S80600). They usually save me from throwing away whatever is printing at the moment of the outage, but will keep the printer powered long enough in sleep mode to keep it doing its automatic maintenance. $500 investment that has saved me thousands!

netsol

Battery backups Yes and No

unless you are spending $1500 or better, you are doing more harm than good, plugging a big roland into a UPS
give it a try and listen to the power supply SQUEALING FOR MERCY. you will be blowing the tops off those capacitors

IndySignPro i will shoot a video of my oscilloscope on the output of a pretty good 1500va backup and the distortion on that sine wave will cause you to wake up screaming

the big eatons (the ones that have 20 amp 220 v inputs might be the exception, but, no one other than myself is going to put one of those in place (we all should, even i haven't bothered)

mim

0_o
I will recommend the owner get a backup battery or just some sort of safeguard measure for this issue in the future. Unfortunately, I'm a measly employee and do not have any final say in the matter, but boss will probably agree with me here.

Thanks everyone

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Battery backups Yes and No

unless you are spending $1500 or better, you are doing more harm than good, plugging a big roland into a UPS
give it a try and listen to the power supply SQUEALING FOR MERCY. you will be blowing the tops off those capacitors

IndySignPro i will shoot a video of my oscilloscope on the output of a pretty good 1500va backup and the distortion on that sine wave will cause you to wake up screaming

the big eatons (the ones that have 20 amp 220 v inputs might be the exception, but, no one other than myself is going to put one of those in place (we all should, even i haven't bothered)
I had a customer who had a cheap battery backup and as soon as the heaters would turn on, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ikarasu

The building were in had power outages at least a dozen times a year ... We've had fried vacuum pumps on our UV, fried latex PSU, main board... We decided.to but UPS's for them all.

Spent about 2.5k each x3.... Not a month later they upgraded the power in our area and we haven't had one outage since.

But it's still good to have - it doesn't save you from a power outage mid print unless it comes back on quickly .. I think our latest can run 7 mins on the battery. Enough for us to cancel the print and do a proper shutdown. Haven't had to yet! So "wasting" 7.5k sucks. But it's good peace of mind, and putting a brand new printer on one makes sense and makes you feel safer.

Saturn

Aging Member
I dunno about 'more harm than good', but I use those common little APC 1500VA UPS's on my S80600 and have had the power go out mid print just recently—I was able to stop things and properly shut down the printer without issue. I use one for each plug, and yes, the heater will drain it in just a couple minutes (or less!?) if you're not present to cancel the job manually and quickly turn things off.

Considering the alternative, I'd say something is better than nothing. Even if it's only able to keep your equipment up through a little split second flicker they'd be worth their weight in gold.

netsol

i keep saying i am going to make a video showing what the output of a ups looks like under a heavy load
it truly is worse than nothing

if during a print, you don't hear your epson squeal, then it's power supply is better suited to that sort of thing than many (most) of the rolands