• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So What's YOUR ValueJet Print Mode?

kirkbedtelyon

I'm still tweaking my ValueJet and I'm wondering what print modes other VJ owners are using.

I was using Graphics 2 720x720 bi for vinyl (IJ 180C) but I had to darken the image prior to printing in order to get a good final output (saturation) so I switched to Quality 4 720x720 bi and get great color but it's printing quite slow. I'm going to try setting the wave back a notch as I just noticed it's on the highest setting (the book says this will speed it up x2 but I'm wondering about quality).

Interested to know what you're using!

Please name the material you're printing on and the print mode setting you like best.

Thanks.

Kirk

Print-Kwik

On Oracal 3651 I most always use Graphics 1, it's somewhat slow but look very good.

For most basic(text and/or simple graphics) banners, I print on Banner 4, for nicer images I use Graphics 1.

The media profile that you are using in the RIP will define which mode is used. Deviating from the print mode dictated in the media profile will essentially invalidate the media profile.

Kirk - With all due respect..

I had to darken the image prior to printing in order to get a good final output

....sounds more like a sympton of the lack of color calibration between the design station and the printer. Do not make to many changes (if any) unless you are certain of your color calibration.

Print-Kwik

Yes, but if the prints look good & hold up well, does that really matter?

The media profile that you are using in the RIP will define which mode is used. Deviating from the print mode dictated in the media profile will essentially invalidate the media profile.

Yes, it all matters. For a one-off a person can get away with it. For repeat orders, especially over long term, it makes all the difference in the world.

Print-Kwik

Over the long term I absolutely wouldn't expect an exact match. Materials change, inks change, equipment may be updated, etc.

Maybe my customers just aren't as picky as yours...

That is the whole purpose of calibration and profiling.

Customers will expect and understand color degradation "over the long term" in regards to exposure. They will not accept or expect different colors at the time of initial output. Remeber this is for repeatred runs NOT one-off banners from the average "Joe" on the street (they do not know better).

Nonetheless, what you are looking at on your monitor should essentially be what is going to come out of the printer on a consistent basis. New calibration and profiles are always in order whenever there is a change in any portion of the production process. That is a basic rule with all calibration.

kirkbedtelyon

My bad. I double checked my settings and found that I mistakenly had the wrong profile selected. Corrected it and I'm getting great results with the graphics 2 mode.

Valentino

I am with print-KWIK......On Oracal 3651 or 3641 (m and G) I most always use Graphics 1, it's somewhat slow but look very good.

For most basic(text and/or simple graphics) banners, I print on Banner 4

kirkbedtelyon

I'm not sure I see the benefits of using Graphics 1 as opposed to Graphics 2 Bi. They're both 720x720, 8 pass. The difference is Graphics 2 bi prints in both directions and is nearly twice as fast. The only benefit I can see for G1 is that you can print a full 48" wide.

Matt Cuellar

I use Banner 4 and Quality 2 exclusively. Then again, I have really accurate profiles so my output on Banner 4 will match any other 720 dpi mode, but I get 120 sq/ft hr. Graphics and text are incredibly sharp, not a hint of banding, even in highly dense areas. The only time I use Q2 is for my translucent prints. I also have it set for double-strike so I get the density, but unfortunately it really slows down the printer, especially with the double-strike. But I guess speed isn't everything, especially when you get backlit prints as rich as we do. It's been a pretty awesome machine and I can't say enough good things about it. I cover both spectrums too. I'm a dealer, and an end-user. I was so impressed with our sales of the VJ that I ended up personally buying a 48" unit for my side business. So now you can get the sales pitch and user perspective! =0)

Matt