• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solar Lights?

zmatalucci

Anybody ever come across a decent solar powered flood light system? I want to illuminate the sign out front of my house, and it's about 250 ft away from any electrical connections.

zmatalucci

true, I'm contemplating renting a ditch witch and running the wire myself, and then having an electrician make the actual connection. Code says 24" deep, too much for a trenching shovel. I guess it will be worth the 5-6 hundred bucks in the long run...sign working an extra 10-12 hours a day

Mosh

The people in one of my rent houses have these solar LED yard lights, they are f'ing bright. I think I saw them at Home Depot. I bet if you modified them with some chrome vinyl on one side you could make them shine in one direction. They are only like $25 for a set of 4. If it don't work you'd only be out that, and have some lights for your yard.

Patrick46

The people in one of my rent houses have these solar LED yard light, they are f'ing bright. I think I saw them at Home Depot.

We have those going up our driveway. YES, they are bright, but they're only good for a few hours, then the batteries wear off.

Mosh

If it is by his house I bet you would not want them on all night anyway.

I would steal them, but they are the only ones that pay the rent on time, not like my other two losers.

G-Artist

I can't tell you where to buy them but you may query your state highway dept.

Panels about 2' x 3' and a battery pack right under the panel. Put it on an 18' pole
and cover the pole with anti-climb paint (keep folks honest). Run the wire down to
the sign lamp. A local light shop can sell you a pretty bright bulb that uses low energy
(12 v DC) and probably the proper reflector to go with it.

The tough part is selecting a battery as they are all over the map when it comes to
prices and features.

Not unheard of is a wind turbine on top of a pole to charge the battery. Lots of new
technology in that area and prices are reasonable.