• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solution for "magnetics", on aluminum trucks

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
I hate magentics. I typically talk most clients into not getting them and just doing direct surface vinyl or print.

But I have these FWS Gator Trappers, that use their personal trucks and just absolutely have to have the ability to remove and put back on their vehicle signage.

Just had the first one order a standard set of the Gator Trapper magnetics, and of course, he just bought new ford so they are not going to work.

Does anybody have a viable solution for removable magentic style car signs on aluminum trucks?

I told the guy that I do not really focus on magentic signs so I do not have a solution to aluminum truck bodies ready to go, but maybe somebody does.

jagsouthern

GlassAPeel works alright as long as the surface doesn't have a compound curve. They aren't as durable as magnets but are considerably cheaper.

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...glass-adhere-white-peel-and-place-window-film

I know the name suggests it's for glass, but it works on painted surfaces. The stuff 'sticks' really well.
GlassAPeel works alright as long as the surface doesn't have a compound curve. They aren't as durable as magnets but are considerably cheaper.

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...glass-adhere-white-peel-and-place-window-film

I know the name suggests it's for glass, but it works on painted surfaces. The stuff 'sticks' really well.
We thought the same thing the first time. Moisture releases the suction at higher driving speeds and it peels back. Fine for stationary anything.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Our supplier had a two part magnetic that was essentially the vinyl then the magnetic. The “vinyl” was just like a regular vinyl but essentially turned the surface into a magnetic surface. Then you can use any magnetic to stick to it.

We haven’t tried it but may be worth a look into. As far as I remember he said it should be vehicle grade too.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Our supplier had a two part magnetic that was essentially the vinyl then the magnetic. The “vinyl” was just like a regular vinyl but essentially turned the surface into a magnetic surface. Then you can use any magnetic to stick to it.

We haven’t tried it but may be worth a look into. As far as I remember he said it should be vehicle grade too.
I wonder. Could you maybe be referring to Magnum RobberSteel Material with adhesive on the back side? It is printable. I do not know if would work on Ford trucks. So, it would need some checking first.
Check also, the Magnetic RubberSteel will then hold your regular magnetic sheet. But that gets a little thick. I have never made this kind of sign, but I sure did order a lot of the material when I worked at Product Sign Supplies. So due diligence.

Last edited:

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Wall Lizard. It’s not perfect but it works anywhere you planned to put a magnet. The customer needs to save a backer for storage.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I wonder. Could you maybe be referring to Magnum RobberSteel Material with adhesive on the back side? It is printable. I do not know if would work on Ford trucks. So, it would need some checking first.
Check also, the Magnetic RubberSteel will then hold your regular magnetic sheet. But that gets a little thick. I have never made this kind of sign, but I sure did order a lot of the material when I worked at Product Sign Supplies. So due diligence.

doubt it, we’re in the UK. Probably the same idea though. There’s a brown or a white option for the base.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
GAC recommended this to us a few months ago. https://www.fixxons.com/2Unistick/main.html
We didn't end up using it as magnet replacements but I did try it on my truck. It sticks really well. For FWC trappers its probably infrequent use and should be fine. They probably only have to stick them on their trucks when they are trapping and maybe carrying a gator which typically is a sideline thing that they do.

Andy D

Something I have been trying with select customers I know well, and who are looking for a cheap or non-magnetic alternative; removeable/reusable floor graphics....
The stuff I have is awesome, it's thick and tough...I put some on my counter a year ago and it still looks great and comes off cleanly, even with everyone leaning and sliding stuff all over it.
It goes down with just your hand and when you want, pull it up and put it back on the backing paper to use later. It takes way more force to remove it than pulling of a magnet, so I don't think it will be an issue, but I will see.
I bought it awhile ago, and it has no markings so I think this is the stuff, but I'm not 100% sure:
https://www.drytac.com/product/spotonfloor200/

edited to add: it runs around $380 for 54" x 100'