• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solvent printing on fabric

MikeD

Does anyone know where to find a thread about solvent printing on fabric using a Mimaki JV33 with SS21 inks or a Seiko M with Seiko's solvent ink? I'm having a hard time finding a thread this specific.
I'm wondering if its because most printers use dye-sub?
Thanks,
MikeD

phototec

Does anyone know where to find a thread about solvent printing on fabric using a Mimaki JV33 with SS21 inks or a Seiko M with Seiko's solvent ink? I'm having a hard time finding a thread this specific.
I'm wondering if its because most printers use dye-sub?
Thanks,
MikeD

MikeD - I had the same problem finding good info printing on fabric with my Eco-Sol printer (Roland SP-540V), doing a google search I discovered a great company called Fisher Textiles, they manufacture many different fabrics which have a special coating on the surface which allows them to be printed with excellent print quality with true solvent, mild solvent and Eco-solvent based printers. This line features a wide variety of styles for both indoor and outdoor use. The fabric edges are ultrasonically slit to eliminate fraying and head strikes. Wide Format and Grand Format sizes are available. They will send you a swatch book and sample roll if you request it.

http://www.fishertextiles.com/ftp4.php?plquery=Inkjet - Solvent

One other note, some of there fabrics are to large for my 54" wide printer, they cut them down to size for me with an ultrasonically slitter.

:thumb:

MikeD

Thanks for the tip!
Did you have to do anything special to protect the printer's platen, or does the ink stay on top?

phototec

Fisher is an awesome company. I contacted them out of the blue for some samples and they sent what looked like 10yd rolls of each one I inquired about!!

Yep, that's what they did for me, also some of their solvent printable fabrics are listed as 58" and 126" wide, and they slit them to 54" for me ultrasonically to eliminate fraying and head strikes.

Good company.

:thumb:

mpn

Same experience here with sample requests. Asked for 3 samples and was surprised with 3 10 yd rolls. Great customer service.

I have not been able to get the results I needed with eco solvent printing though.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another :thumb: for Fisher Textiles. Some fabrics are a LOT easier to print than others. The thinner it is - like the satin - the harder it is to get a good looking print on it. We print a good bit on their canvas and their "heavy knit". The heavy knit is great for fabric banners and whatnot. While coated, some of the thinner stuff still bleeds out so bad that it is just hard to get a good solid image on it since you have to cut the ink so far back. To avoid tons of bleeding the print will have to be very very light. Fabrics are not the easiest to profile either.... once you get one figured out though the results can be fantastic and a nice niche. The heavy knit also works great on simple X frame banner stands with grommets in it. Cut it with a hot knife for the cleanest edge - scissors will also work fine and it does not really fray much at all.

phototec

Another :thumb: for Fisher Textiles. Some fabrics are a LOT easier to print than others. The thinner it is - like the satin - the harder it is to get a good looking print on it. We print a good bit on their canvas and their "heavy knit". The heavy knit is great for fabric banners and whatnot. While coated, some of the thinner stuff still bleeds out so bad that it is just hard to get a good solid image on it since you have to cut the ink so far back. To avoid tons of bleeding the print will have to be very very light. Fabrics are not the easiest to profile either.... once you get one figured out though the results can be fantastic and a nice niche. The heavy knit also works great on simple X frame banner stands with grommets in it. Cut it with a hot knife for the cleanest edge - scissors will also work fine and it does not really fray much at all.

SightLine, Have you tired their SI 310 Paper Backed Flag for flags or banners?

In your experience, which of the thinner fabric's specifically has the printing problems you mentioned?

Have you tried the SI 4418?

What kind of Hot Knife are you using?

Thanks

mpn

What Sightline describes sounds like the 310 I'm working with. I'm going to keep working with it, but here is my first shot at it.

Picture is of the 210 NOT 310

Attachments

• IMAG3707.jpg
    IMAG3707.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

phototec

What Sightline describes sounds like the 310 I'm working with. I'm going to keep working with it, but here is my first shot at it.

Picture is of the 210 NOT 310

Ok, the photo (above) is the 210 (very thin), do you have a photo of the 310 which is paper backed, that your are working with now?

:thankyou:

mpn

Here is the updated test reports:

1st photo is the 210 (too thin for us to use) YMMV
2nd & 3rd photo is the 310 (very nice and lightweight)
4th photo is the 70 (this one produced the best color for us)

All of them are new to us and we only had a short window for the job.

We are very happy with Fisher Textiles and their samples. We have a few ideas in mind for sure.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMAG3707.jpg
    IMAG3707.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 192
  • IMAG3708.jpg
    IMAG3708.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG3709.jpg
    IMAG3709.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG3710.jpg
    IMAG3710.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I think the 70 is the one we use for the most part. It has been so long since I have tried any of the thinner ones that I could not tell you which were which at this point. I do remember the satin was difficult. Much like the 210 - while you could keep cutting further back on the ink the problem you run into is then the image looks so washed out and light that it is really not ideal for many things. Much like the 310 tests mpn shows - the image on that ends up looking pretty washed out. There would certainly be uses where that would not be a problem - lighter backdrops, etc but if you needed anything really bold and sharply defined it would be hard to pull off due to the amount of ink that just soaks in and potentially will bleed out at the edges if you push it too far. While solvent machines can print on fabrics very well they do have their limits and points where screen or sublimation will have an advantage. Very thin fabrics being one.