• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

some colours can be a real headache

gabagoo

Not a good Monday so far.

I have repeat job that I get 4 times a year.

They are little banners that are 18" x 21" that we cut up and apply to a clear plastic hanger with 2 clips.

Sounds like an easy job...... NOT!!!

Originally when I set it all up and received approval from the client we used Avery Saturn banner. The print although small is one continous color.
300 blue with white text knocked out and a small logo at the bottom.

Avery discontinued the Saturn and I have been scrambling to find a decent replacement.

Ever since we were forced to change to a new smooth banner material we have had nothing but headaches. I am almost convinced that just about all the smooth banner you can buy comes out of the same mill in China.

No matter who's I try, they always come packaged the same way.

To run larger banners with white space and 4 colour graphics, the material is fine for.
This little banner that has a continuous pms 300 blue is a disaster. It seems that this particular blue when printed picks up every imperfection of the banner material. These banners being so small they are detectable and rendered useless.
I have halted the print 9 times this morning and tried many different ways. I even tried reverse wound and the same results occur.

After speaking to another sign guy on the phone about this problem, he says why dont you just print them on matte vinyl and then apply them to the banner and cut them down!!

Why didn't I think of that?
Sure it is one extra step but I won't have to print 60 to get 36 decent prints.
I threw in the vinyl and the first 6 are printed and look fine.

Not sure over time how it will effect the banner but these are hung in employee lounges and probably pretty much ignored after the first week.

Number 9

As soon as I saw how you spelled "colour" I knew you were Canadian lol!
anyways, is there a downloadable ICC profile available for the material on the Avery website?

WB

Thats all we use.. it's a DS lockout banner. prints really nice on the JV3's.. we use it in our Bannerstands.. I think it's around $$500-600 for a 54"x300' roll.. or you can get smaller rolls but the largers is cheaper.. 36" x 150 is probably $200?? They have warehouse in Montreal and TO..

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't print it on vinyl and install it on banner material. The vinyl will shrink and the banners will curl towards the vinyl.

gabagoo

I wouldn't print it on vinyl and install it on banner material. The vinyl will shrink and the banners will curl towards the vinyl.

yes I can see this happening a little bit already, but had no other choice. I might just slap a layer of vinyl on the backside so they fight each other.