• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Source for Pre-patinated Corten / Weathering Steel

Doyle

Bidding on a project with a stupid-tight deadline for both the bid submittal and production timeline (aren't they all?) and the client has specifically requested pre-patinated / pre-weathered corten steel (example photo attached). Size of the piece needed is approximately 144" x 56" 3/16" thick. I have a source for this type of steel, but the patina develops over the course of months/years. I'm in Michigan and need to find a midwest source for this material.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice/referrals!

Attachments

• corten.jpg
    corten.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,617

Doyle

Found an answer to my question, no need to find the steel pre-patinated as there is a process of using peroxide/salt/vinegar to actually accelerate the process to just a few days, will probably be going this route.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Found an answer to my question, no need to find the steel pre-patinated as there is a process of using peroxide/salt/vinegar to actually accelerate the process to just a few days, will probably be going this route.

Interesting. Could you share some progress pics if you go ahead with this? Would be neat to see how that works.

Good luck with the bid!

Doyle

There are youtube videos, but I will definitely take some progress pics on this one and post them should I get the job

TimToad

Bidding on a project with a stupid-tight deadline for both the bid submittal and production timeline (aren't they all?) and the client has specifically requested pre-patinated / pre-weathered corten steel (example photo attached). Size of the piece needed is approximately 144" x 56" 3/16" thick. I have a source for this type of steel, but the patina develops over the course of months/years. I'm in Michigan and need to find a midwest source for this material.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice/referrals!

Oooh, I don't know if you're going to get a sheet that size. We work with this stuff all the time and have a really hard time getting CoreTen in anything over 48"x96". We're located in an area with over 300 vineyards within a 25 mile radius and nearly EVERYBODY wants CoreTen incorporated into their signs. It's a fad, kind of cowboy chic out here.

We used the White Vinegar/Hydrogen Peroxide/Salt formula on these and it took a couple of treatments, but its rusted across the entire surface within the first 15 minutes of the first spraying.

Attachments

• Seven Oxen Large Wall Sign 2.jpg
    Seven Oxen Large Wall Sign 2.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Seven Oxen Small Wall Sign 1.jpg
    Seven Oxen Small Wall Sign 1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 178

Doyle

Oooh, I don't know if you're going to get a sheet that size. We work with this stuff all the time and have a really hard time getting CoreTen in anything over 48"x96". We're located in an area with over 300 vineyards within a 25 mile radius and nearly EVERYBODY wants CoreTen incorporated into their signs. It's a fad, kind of cowboy chic out here.

We used the White Vinegar/Hydrogen Peroxide/Salt formula on these and it took a couple of treatments, but its rusted across the entire surface within the first 15 minutes of the first spraying.

I found the material in 60" x 144" sheets available from our local metal vendor. Thanks for posting the information and photos, it will be helpful. I am working on two different jobs using this material, coincidentally. One thing that I have wondered is if the surface rust/runoff will stain other materials that are in close proximity? One of the jobs we are working on is actually a routed face illuminated sign, where the corten steel is the face. After wondering how this will look after the steel gets weathered and possibly staining the backing acrylic, it seems like maybe a push-thru letter would be better?

Thanks for the replies!

TimToad

I found the material in 60" x 144" sheets available from our local metal vendor. Thanks for posting the information and photos, it will be helpful. I am working on two different jobs using this material, coincidentally. One thing that I have wondered is if the surface rust/runoff will stain other materials that are in close proximity? One of the jobs we are working on is actually a routed face illuminated sign, where the corten steel is the face. After wondering how this will look after the steel gets weathered and possibly staining the backing acrylic, it seems like maybe a push-thru letter would be better?

Thanks for the replies!

The theory behind CoreTen is that once the surface alloys finish rusting, they seal themselves by creating a somewhat hard shell finish. The rust quickening process creates a rusty powder on the surface, but we remove that after we're happy with the finish and its pretty much up to the weather to finish the process and seal itself.