• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

robosigns

Hi all,

I am encountering some issues with the Head Carriage on my SP-540V. When it returns to the Capping Station, it doesn't hit the breaks and slams into the Control Panel sidewall, leading to a Motor Error of 0010. After this occurs, the Head is loose / unlocked. This error also occurs if I reseat and properly lock the head and try to get it to run even a simple cleaning, so I'm blocked from any further functions. My next thought was to go into the Limit Position Initialize mode. I can bring the Caps up to the Head (which I am making sure is locked), but then any further steps end with the "UNRECOVERABLE LIMIT SENSOR" error, so I can't fix my issue this way either... The third and final issue I have is that I can only get the Printer on in Service Mode, as the Regular Mode gives me a "CLOSE COVER" error. I had originally fixed that issue years ago by removing the original the top right Pressure Switch under the Right Cover and attaching the wires to a Single Pole Toggle Switch. In case that also failed, I just spliced the wires directly together but no change. I dove into many posts here but none seem to line up with my exact set of problems... Could the "CLOSE COVER" and wiring issue mean the Junction Board has a problem and / or is causing the other issues? Are they unrelated? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have serviced my own machines many times and would consider myself at Intermediate level. To save time, I will list everything else I have done so far to try and fix these issues:

- New Scan Motor
- New Linear Encoder Sensor, centered over strip (I have done this before without issue)
- New Encoder Strip
- New Head Carriage Board
- New Sensor (Interrupter) for Head Return (behind control panel)

Attached is a Photo of the Sensor Check.

Some Videos:

Attachments

• SP540-V Sensor Check.jpg
    SP540-V Sensor Check.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 117

damonCA21

I would be looking at replacing the junction board. The cover switches plug into this, as do the cut carriage and print carriage sensors. It could also be a servo board problem. With faults like this you have try a few things as various different faulty components can give the problems you are having

netsol

but, i don't see the 12 pin ribbon cable on that list
it's always difficult to diagnose without being in front of the machine, but that cable is a likely suspect
also, have you obtained a service manual and gone through the calibrations that follow replacing the sensor and encoding strip?

robosigns

damonCA21 and netsol Thanks for the tips!

I have another fully functioning SP-540V and so as per damonCA21 's advice I swapped the Junction boards. This fixed the head slamming on the unit that is not working. It also reproduced the 0010 Motor Error and head slamming on my working model. netsol - do you mean the 14 pin cable running from the Junction Board to the Main Board? I swapped this as well as the Junction Board, then swapped the cables back but not the Boards, and there were no changes so I eliminated that cable as a possibility (will order a new one anyway as it is in bad shape)
WITH the working Junction board, the original (broken) printer now gives a 0101 Service Call (Limit Position Error) instead of the 0010 (Scan Motor Error). I still get "Unrecoverable Limit Sensor" when I try to run the Limit Position Initialization.

Also netsol RE: Linear Calibration - I always do when I put in a new strip and / or sensor, and would have when these went in originally. However I am now unable to run any calibration due to the aforementioned Service Calls and Limit Sensor error

Some progress, but no cigar. I will try swapping the Servo boards next and report back. Any other ideas in the meantime?

robosigns

* Also realized I should mention that even with the working Junction Board in the broken Printer, I am still getting the CLOSE COVER problem I I try to boot up outside of Service Mode. I have also attached the new Sensor Check result

Attachments

• SP540-V Sensor Check_working_Junction_Board.jpg
    SP540-V Sensor Check_working_Junction_Board.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 54

robosigns

UPDATE - I made a grave error in swapping those Junction Boards and cables... Now all of the original issues I had on the broken printer have begun to occur on my other (originally working) unit...
I guess this would mean that there is possibly a fault in the bad Junction Board that then sent a surge down the line to the servo board and popped a fuse, or fried something thus duplicating all the same original problems? I am now getting the 0010 Motor Error, Unrecoverable Limit Sensor AND the CLOSE COVER error as well. The only takeaway is that at least eliminates many other possible causes of these issues as there were no problems with this printer only an hour ago.

ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated!

damonCA21

There isn't a fuse it would blow that would cause any problems, so possibly the junction board has damaged something else. At least you are getting it narrowed down now though!

I would get a known working junction board and servo board and change those over on one printer and see if that solves the problem. Make sure you get OEM Roland boards and not the chinese copy ones. If you need them I have used junction and servo boards in stock, all tested and working and can send to Canada no problem.

damonCA21

UPDATE - I made a grave error in swapping those Junction Boards and cables... Now all of the original issues I had on the broken printer have begun to occur on my other (originally working) unit...
I guess this would mean that there is possibly a fault in the bad Junction Board that then sent a surge down the line to the servo board and popped a fuse, or fried something thus duplicating all the same original problems? I am now getting the 0010 Motor Error, Unrecoverable Limit Sensor AND the CLOSE COVER error as well. The only takeaway is that at least eliminates many other possible causes of these issues as there were no problems with this printer only an hour ago.

ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Check your DM as well :)

robosigns

UPDATE: damonCA21 Was very helpful and promptly set me up with a good price on both an OEM Junction Board as well as a Servo Board - so I'd like to thank him here! Will post results when those parts have arrived.

netsol - Oh I know that cable very well.... Especially for all the wonderful Pinch Roll errors I've had when I needed them least lol. I have about 20 spares and so I will swap it out on the originally broken printer. However, I will wait and see what the two new Circuit Boards do for my other unit as it was working PERFECTLY and was printing only hours before the swap I did.

robosigns

FINAL UPDATE:

IT'S ALIVE!!!

It looks like it was indeed a bad Junction Board that then damaged the Servo Board somehow. Another big thanks to damonCA21 for his prompt responses and fast service! I received the parts very quickly and they were packaged well. It is a great feeling to be back up and running within the week!

**Sidenote - after having made a very deep dive into these Forums looking for solutions, I have to say that one of the lousiest things you can do here is never post your results or confirm if a certain part / solution worked. You took free advice from others, the least you can do is take 5 minutes to finish the story and give due thanks as you could really be helping someone down the line.

Attachments

• 20240217_125445.jpg
    20240217_125445.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot (158).png
    Screenshot (158).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 52

netsol

FINAL UPDATE:

IT'S ALIVE!!!

It looks like it was indeed a bad Junction Board that then damaged the Servo Board somehow. Another big thanks to damonCA21 for his prompt responses and fast service! I received the parts very quickly and they were packaged well. It is a great feeling to be back up and running within the week!

**Sidenote - after having made a very deep dive into these Forums looking for solutions, I have to say that one of the lousiest things you can do here is never post your results or confirm if a certain part / solution worked. You took free advice from others, the least you can do is take 5 minutes to finish the story and give due thanks as you could really be helping someone down the line.
great news!
you know i had my doubts, since i was of the opinion that a dead short on the junction board is rare...

i learned something today