• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spectrophotometer

chafro

Hi guys,,

I need to get a new one, I have been using the I1 for some time now, but now I need one with transmissive reads for backlights.

I'm looking at the barbieri spectro swing.

Any reviews or better options?

There are not a lot of spectros that can take transmissive readings. The Barbieri is the only current device that i know of. The old Spectrolino from the 90s can too, but it has not been made in over 10 years.

eye4clr

Some hacks for doing backlit profiles are going through the process normally as if it's a common front lit application, then using either an adjustment curve (if your rip has one) or go back and tweak the linearization to boost the density.

I've heard from several folks who are much better at this stuff than I am to build as if front lit, then use the i1 to measure the light source of the backlight. Then edit the profile to use the measured white point.

I've had great success with Onyx and Caldera tweaking the density after the complete build.

I'm out of touch with the current instruments on the market, but the X-rite DTP41 used to have a transmissive/reflective model that worked well and wasn't as expensive as the barbieri (sp?)