• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spot colors

martinow

Hello there!

I am trying to add a Spot color behind image data so Onyx can detect that white print should be done behind it
1623323943149.png

Here you can see a logo, with a border which is the cut path and a square which has a spot color. I want this spot color to be behind all pixels in the logo. Is this possible with Illustrator?

jfiscus

Rap Master
When I set up prints like these I set up the art in Photoshop then saved a flattened TIFF/JPEG out.
Then in Illustrator I added my "CutContour" and the "Spot1" (white) shapes.
You have to set ALL elements to be overprints for Onyx to recognize all of them.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Hi!
But how do I get a shape that is exactly the logo to add the Spot color to?
Just duplicate it to another layer and change it to spot?
Easiest way you can just add the white spot in Onyx.

HP guide but the workflow is identical with anything else using Onyx.

jfiscus

Rap Master
But how do I get a shape that is exactly the logo to add the Spot color to?
I usually take the "artwork" and make it all solid Black (use the layer effects to do color overlays if you have to) and keep the background white, then save that out as a JPEG. Then I take that into Illustrator and do a LiveTrace and have that make the shape object.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
You can just get Onyx to do this in Job Editor. Color Correction tab, Tools >> button then Spot Layer Tool:

1623328311025.png

"Fill Image Area" will add Spot white underneath any pixel that isn't pure non-printable (aka pure white) imagery.
You can adjust the opacity of the white layer with Underlay Fill Opacity. Usually keep this at 100% for full coverage.

Screenshot is from Onyx 21. It looks slightly different for 12.2. I can supply if required.

martinow

Just duplicate it to another layer and change it to spot?
Easiest way you can just add the white spot in Onyx.

HP guide but the workflow is identical with anything else using Onyx.

Problem here is that Changing to spot does nothing.
1623328198798.png

iprint

In Illustrator you have to name your spot layer to "Spot1" and leave it on top of the other layer/s if I recall correctly. You should know as soon as you open the file in Onyx. If you can see your spot image it didn't work correctly. Also make sure you are ripping with a profile that supports white ink. It has been a while since I have worked with white ink in Onyx, so I may have missed something.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
If your spot color is in top make sure you check over print fill in the attributes panel. Otherwise it will remove anything behind your spot color.

marunr

If there is no pure white in the image, you can simply do it the way SignMeUpGraphics said by using the Onyx software. If there is pure white in the image, then as the others are saying, first you have to trace your image and make it a spot color. I use 100% cyan just for consistency. Then you name this color Spot 1. You place this layer on top of the image later (separate layer) and you check overprint fill in the attributes window. If you look at the overprint view in the view tab you can now see if it's correct. This is what you have to do if there is any pure white in your image.