• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spot light illlumination for a blade sign

nolanola

Hello forum.
Some of our clients requested illumintaion for signs we made for them in the past. What prudcts and what suppliers would you reccomend? Thank you.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 205

kcollinsdesign

Old member
First you need to determine how much light you want on the sign (foot-candles) and choose a fixture that is in the right range (lumens) to get the desired result. Take into consideration the beam spread (the angle the light comes out of the fixture), which will help to determine distance from the sign and will also effect brightness (closer = brighter). Color temperature is another consideration (I find around 4000k - 4500k, sometimes referred to as natural white, will be a good choice for outdoor signs in urban areas). Then of course, you probably need to check with your city (they will likely have something to say about light spread and whether your lights need to point up or down to avoid lights going into pedestrian or driver's eyes).

By far the biggest mistake I see is hot spots on the sign when the lights are too close, too bright, and/or have the wrong beam spread.

From the looks of your project, I would recommend looking into E-conolight's C-Lite LED Bullet light/40° beam spread/2800 lumen/4000k or 5000k (currently $61.99 each). You can make a little diagram showing a 75° angle coming from a point to determine where to install the lights. They also make a little 1200 lumen Compact Round Flood that I have used successfully when 2800 lumens is too bright. Here's another one I've used successfully:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 12.10.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 12.10.05 PM.png
    405.3 KB · Views: 114

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That all sounds good, but you might wanna consider goosenecks on the arm itself. To avoid hotspots, use the right wattage.

nolanola

First you need to determine how much light you want on the sign (foot-candles) and choose a fixture that is in the right range (lumens) to get the desired result. Take into consideration the beam spread (the angle the light comes out of the fixture), which will help to determine distance from the sign and will also effect brightness (closer = brighter). Color temperature is another consideration (I find around 4000k - 4500k, sometimes referred to as natural white, will be a good choice for outdoor signs in urban areas). Then of course, you probably need to check with your city (they will likely have something to say about light spread and whether your lights need to point up or down to avoid lights going into pedestrian or driver's eyes).

By far the biggest mistake I see is hot spots on the sign when the lights are too close, too bright, and/or have the wrong beam spread.

From the looks of your project, I would recommend looking into E-conolight's C-Lite LED Bullet light/40° beam spread/2800 lumen/4000k or 5000k (currently $61.99 each). You can make a little diagram showing a 75° angle coming from a point to determine where to install the lights. They also make a little 1200 lumen Compact Round Flood that I have used successfully when 2800 lumens is too bright. Here's another one I've used successfully:
Thank you!

kcollinsdesign

Old member

Oops. The diagram, in the case of a fixture with a 40º beam spread, should utilize a 40º angle. But you get the idea.