• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spot ON PMS Color matching software...

rfulford

I have never used it but it looks like a simple spot color replacement tool. There is not a lot of information on the site about what exactly the program does. I believe versaworks already has a spot color replacement under "Named Color Settings". As to which is the more robust, I can not say.

sounds like theyre kinda saying that you can match PMS colors with it.. that would be great but yea they arent very clear as to exactly what it can do..

TheSellOut

I have wondered about this program myself but after a year of hands on with an Eco-Solvent printer I am confident in saying that no CMYK printer will accurately match all of the PANTONE colors

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have wondered about this program myself but after a year of hands on with an Eco-Solvent printer I am confident in saying that no CMYK printer will accurately match all of the PANTONE colors

Yep... that is the absolute truth. You can get a whole lot closer than Pantone's process match swatch book, but for some colors (Orange 021 comes to mind) you won't get the vibrancy of the PMS ink.

signswi

The CMYK gamut is rather small, many PMS color are outside of it. Can only take it so far. Pantone makes the Bridge swatchbook for a reason.

m_s_p

I have a similar "Spot On" application in the rip for my Xerox digital printer.

You select your PMS color and print out a test sheet then select the closest color. Once I am satisfied that my PMS color is close the chip color save it. Every time I print with that PMS color it will come out with the new mix. It makes it a lot easier to match repeat PMS colors rather than remembering what CMYK mix you used.

If PMS matching is key for your business it would be worth a try.

Has anybody tried Spot On color matching software? The link is below...
It seems they are claiming to be able to make the spot colors match PMS colors...

http://www.extremeinkjet.com/SpotOn_p/spoton.htm

This is a Versaworks SPOT Color Library file that this company has built and is marketing. Anyone with a Spectrophotometer that can take spot reads, and is supported by Versaworks, along with a Pantone Swatch Book can build the equivalent of this, though it takes time to do so.

Typestries

Catzper from Nazdar does something similar. Perhaps more elegantly. Same price range, but requires (or works best) if you have an eye one

Rather than change at the Rip, it allows you to change at the native file level if you wish, so if you need the same art in the future, you have it.

Quite honestly, though, if your profiles are tight, and you give your rip the right info (as in PMS color data) you should be getting pretty darn close for 99% of the world and not even need a product like this. We pull out the Catzper when it's stuff for Lowes or the Depot and the blues and oranges have to be just so.

HaroldDesign

Catzper from Nazdar does something similar. Perhaps more elegantly. Same price range, but requires (or works best) if you have an eye one

Rather than change at the Rip, it allows you to change at the native file level if you wish, so if you need the same art in the future, you have it.

Quite honestly, though, if your profiles are tight, and you give your rip the right info (as in PMS color data) you should be getting pretty darn close for 99% of the world and not even need a product like this. We pull out the Catzper when it's stuff for Lowes or the Depot and the blues and oranges have to be just so.

:clapping:

HaroldDesign

I did pretty well without a spectrophotometer for quite a while. Really learn to use the proper one for your equipment and you will find bliss.

eye4clr

Quite honestly, though, if your profiles are tight, and you give your rip the right info (as in PMS color data) you should be getting pretty darn close for 99% of the world and not even need a product like this.

+1

10sacer

Pms

I am sure that RIPs have gotten better and Pantone has continually tweaked the library builds to allow greater chance of hitting in a CMYK color space - BUT - even with a Roland or some other printer with Red, Orange and Green inks in them along with the CMYK - you will be doing very good to MATCH 85% of the Pantone library. Gotta remember that the media you are printing to plays alot in this and of course unless you have spectral measuring devices that take accurate Delta E readings - this is all subject to the end users eye and lighting conditions - but all things being equal - you would be doing good to match 85 - 90%.