• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spray painted vinyl

Mosh

I remember meeting Superfrog back in '91, he was touting the great effects of Krylon on vinyl. After I saw him I thought I was going to set the world on fire with fade effects...well until I got a printer! Glad I got my prints now cause weeding after painting SUCKS!!! The key was to paint first then cut OR weed while the paint was wet.

Custom Bob

I always used Krylon only.
A couple of tips:

Wipe the vinyl down with rubbing alcohol before you spray it. You'll get a better bite.
Also warm the cans up ( Be careful not to heat them up to much so they don't explode. ) before you use them. The paint will spray out finer and give you a better look.

klemgraphics

I have a job coming up where I will need to add a fine white highlight in a simple boat graphic, thought I would use white automotive basecoat for the white and then 1 thinned down coat of clear. Anyone have any opinions on this? I'm thinking I will need to then weed it just after it flashes. I'm sure it will be fun being that these are 8' long.

Mosh

I have a job coming up where I will need to add a fine white highlight in a simple boat graphic, thought I would use white automotive basecoat for the white and then 1 thinned down coat of clear. Anyone have any opinions on this? I'm thinking I will need to then weed it just after it flashes. I'm sure it will be fun being that these are 8' long.

Why not just print and cut and not worry about it? Proven method vs trying somthing that might fail! Come on, be a professional! You could just paint the whole thing and give that a go....or wait..what?

klemgraphics

Why not just print and cut and not worry about it? Proven method vs trying somthing that might fail! Come on, be a professional! You could just paint the whole thing and give that a go....or wait..what?
I would do just that besides the fact that I have to match a specific purple metallic with it. This customer is very picky of what it will look like when finished(has to match what was there before). Why would you think this isn't professional? I will probably spray a light coat of plastic adhesion promoter first as well. Heck you can buy wrap vinyl that has base/clear on it so I don't see why this would be completely different, right?