• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Spraying Matthews MAP High Gloss orange peel Help

Sprayman10

I am having trouble getting Matthews MAP to lay down like I want with Devilbiss Tekna Pro Lite. I am spraying with a 1.4 tip and the te 10 cap but have tried combos of 1.3 and te20. I am an experienced painter and I am mixing correctly, have tried reducing a little more, have correct distance etc.. the gun calls for 29 psi but I noticed in the tech sheets for map it says 40-50 psi which does produce less orange peel but a ton of wasted paint and overspray. I am spraying both coats wet but just can't get rid of the orange peel. I am having to run with my fan near closed or else the pattern has a break in it so I have a 6-7 oval pattern, fluid is wide open. If anyone could help shed some light on the orange peel or have any tips I would be greatly appreciative.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Reduce it more. The paint mfgs have to keep their paints within legal limits and that includes how much they tell you to reduce it on the tech sheet. More will not hurt anything except a little film build which is easy enough to fix with an extra coat if needed. If your fan is closed all the way in order to get enough paint then it's too heavy which is also why you have the air cranked up which breaks up the droplets. As far as air goes, it's the same as the paint, they list a pressure to where the gun is compliant but that doesnt mean it is always functional at that number. I try to keep my gun where it's supposed to be but sometimes you have to crank it up. It is what it is.

Last edited:

astro8

Agree. Reduce it more as it sounds like you're trying to spray mud. More air and reduce the paint to where you feel it's 'right'.

Sprayman10

Thank y'all very much I will definitely try that tomorrow. I was feeling like it was to thick but I was worried to come to far out of the ratio. I would definitely rather put an extra coat and have it come out smooth

signbrad

1.4mm tip is recommended for Matthews.

Of course, orange peel is when the film is not flowing well enough. Have you tried a slower reducer? You did not mention which one you are using. If you are using 6379 (the fastest), try using 45280, the next slowest. I frequently mix them together, also. I use 45280 most of the time for most projects. In real hot weather, I will mix the 45290 (slower than 45280) and the 45280 together. I also add the retarder sometimes, especially on big pieces.

The pattern has a break when you open up the fan? Like a dogbone pattern? When I see that I immediately do a partial breakdown and make sure the fluid nozzle and air cap are free flowing with no partial clogs. I'll pull the needle, too, and clean it if needed. I am surprised you can only get a 6-7 inch pattern, but maybe that's the nature of the Techn Pro Lite? I don't know.

Yes, you can over-reduce a little. But you are probably aware that you must never over-catalyze Matthews. It is important to always use the exact amount of catalyst called for. The same way with accelerator, if you use it. Only add the exact amount specified. I bought a test tube at the science toy store with ml gradations to make adding accelerator easy.
Good luck.

Are you in north Alabama? I always like seeing Jason Isbell and his band whenever they come to town.

Brad in Kansas City

Troubleshooting:
https://www.matthewspaint.com/getme...d5b9e28825/mpc-troubleshooting-guide.pdf.aspx

Matthews reducers:
http://www.matthewspaint.com/Produc...Paint/Conventional/Conventional-Reducers.aspx

John Miller

I'm with Brad, slower reducer will allow better flow-out. We mix 3 paint 1 catalyst 1 reducer. Depending on spray room temp, fast=cold med=middle temps slow=warm weather