• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeegee Streaks on Overlam printed Vinyl

rickmdc

I’ve noticed these streaks on the print when I use the squeegee to mount the vinyl onto the ACM. I believe it’s just from the extra pressure onto the Overlam. It almost looks as if it gets rid of the “silvering” where I squeegee. Is that what’s happening here? Does this go away or does it stay permanently on the print?

This is a printed vinyl mounted on ACM and manually laminated with Substance Media’s Overlam. (I don’t own a laminator YET!)

Any help or advice on either preventing this or understanding what’s going on would be greatly appreciated! I’ve attached to images showing what I’m referring to

IMG_1885.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1883.jpeg
    IMG_1883.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yes silvering will normally go away over time.

The added pressure and/or heat from laminator rollers generally reduces 90% of the silvering so once you upgrade to a laminator it should no longer be an issue.

rickmdc

That will go away. As a tip, when I apply printed vinyl I usually wet my felt squeegee down and that cuts down or eliminates the "scratches". You can see them more on black and darker ink colors than on white.
Oh awesome! Thanks for the tip! I’m just slowly building up for a laminator soon! I’ll try this in the mean time!

rickmdc

Yes silvering will normally go away over time.

The added pressure and/or heat from laminator rollers generally reduces 90% of the silvering so once you upgrade to a laminator it should no longer be an issue.
Thanks for that! I figured the heat would help! I’ve tried going harder on the pressure for the manual laminator but I end up just wrinkling the Overlam bc the pressure was too tight

Stacey K

I like making signs
Oh awesome! Thanks for the tip! I’m just slowly building up for a laminator soon! I’ll try this in the mean time!
If you have a few hundred laying around, I have the Vevor 51" hand laminator. I was always going to buy a mechanical one but I've been very happy with the Vevor so I never upgraded! I have an HP 315. I've tried hand laminating with a squeegee and I'm a failure LOL The Vevor works very well for the price.

JBurton

Signtologist
If you have a few hundred laying around, I have the Vevor 51" hand laminator. I was always going to buy a mechanical one but I've been very happy with the Vevor so I never upgraded! I have an HP 315. I've tried hand laminating with a squeegee and I'm a failure LOL The Vevor works very well for the price.

Is that the first one you got, or did you replace it?
I've got a similar one that was really cool initially, but the last few times we tried to mount a full 4x8, it threw a bunch of wrinkles on one side, and I kindly threw it under the table... I keep debating getting some bimba's and rigging it for air drive pressure, but at this point I'm getting ready(ie, convincing the powers that be) to get a new laminator and relegate the old one to mounting panels.

Rmurray321

I've got a similar one that was really cool initially, but the last few times we tried to mount a full 4x8, it threw a bunch of wrinkles on one side, and I kindly threw it under the table... I keep debating getting some bimba's and rigging it for air drive pressure, but at this point I'm getting ready(ie, convincing the powers that be) to get a new laminator and relegate the old one to mounting panels.
I have this same one too, usually to get rid of the wrinkles, both side pressures need to be quite even. I made a mark on the dials as an indicator for pressure to keep them decently even.

For $300 it’s pretty hard to beat and easy to mount things

KEYSER SOZE

I’ve noticed these streaks on the print when I use the squeegee to mount the vinyl onto the ACM. I believe it’s just from the extra pressure onto the Overlam. It almost looks as if it gets rid of the “silvering” where I squeegee. Is that what’s happening here? Does this go away or does it stay permanently on the print?

This is a printed vinyl mounted on ACM and manually laminated with Substance Media’s Overlam. (I don’t own a laminator YET!)

Any help or advice on either preventing this or understanding what’s going on would be greatly appreciated! I’ve attached to images showing what I’m referring to

View attachment 169074
Silvering always goes away, just a question of how long you / your customer are prepared to wait.
Some laminates have a softer adhesive which makes silvering less noticeable, but they can be prone to shrinkage and glue lines on the edges.

Here's THE BIG TIP though !
Once your print is laminated, roll it up and put in on the dash of your car or truck in full sun for an hour - presto, silvering gone.
In warm weather 30 minutes will do it.

Over here (and Texas as well I imagine) it'll hit 50+ degrees C in your cab with the windows up.

KEYSER SOZE

Silvering always goes away, just a question of how long you / your customer are prepared to wait.
Some laminates have a softer adhesive which makes silvering less noticeable, but they can be prone to shrinkage and glue lines on the edges.

Here's THE BIG TIP though !
Once your print is laminated, roll it up and put in on the dash of your car or truck in full sun for an hour - presto, silvering gone.
In warm weather 30 minutes will do it.

Over here (and Texas as well I imagine) it'll hit 50+ degrees C in your cab with the windows up.
If it's already mounted on the ACM, put it in the tray of your truck with the tonneau cover closed.

They make hand rollers that you can use for this. The ones we used back in the day were called J-rollers. Most rubber rollers would probably work.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Same one! I bought it because I couldn't afford a decent laminator but it's been working well so why spend the money? If I had had lots and lots of prints to laminate each day it would be a different story but with just me here it only gets moderate use. I do wish it was more like 60"...I'm always trimming down big prints.

I assume you checked the pressure on both sides? It could cause the wrinkles.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
As a tip, when I apply printed vinyl I usually wet my felt squeegee down and that cuts down or eliminates the "scratches". You can see them more on black and darker ink colors than on white.
I don't know what squeegees you're using, but I like doing the wet edge too for most things too. I started using these, they work great wet or dry, they stay wet forever, seem to need less pressure, and they last. I bought a 12 pack of these 4" Teflons over a year ago just to try them out, I use em' in house, and our installers love them.

JBurton

Signtologist
I assume you checked the pressure on both sides? It could cause the wrinkles.
Yup, I think the problem was more the degree that one person on one side of the table was tightening to wasn't jiving with the other side of the table. At this point I'm going to reckon it's bent, I was not happy when I tossed it... Glad your's is going strong!

gnubler

That neck is seriously creeping me out :omg:
LOL, so it's not just me. RE agents aren't real people and have no awareness over how creepy/offputting some of their photos are.

Good thread, I have dealt with this also on the few items I've laminated by hand. I also don't have a laminator and am about to buy that Vevor cold laminator that Stacey posted.
I have a 38" Big Squeegee that works well for laminating smaller prints, but obviously I'm limited on size using that squeegee.