• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeeze Roller - getting wrinkles

TheBarricade

I'm currently using a squeeze roller table, with an upper holder bar, from Highway Handyman to apply premask to vinyl and sheeting to signs, among other things. When applying premask (application tape), I will get wrinkles on occasion especially on longer pieces (4'-5'L). It's always one long wrinkle. It's when the paper starts to bunch up about halfway through.

Things I've done:
  • Checked to make sure the paper is going in as straight as I can get it
  • Pull with a tube, instead of my hands, through the roller so the pressure is the same
  • Made sure the tape is being pulled evenly across
  • Confirmed the roller drops evenly
  • 30 pressure
Is there anything else you guys can think of that may help alleviate this issue? It's pretty annoying getting halfway through a 6' piece and having it wrinkle lol. Generally I will stop, cut the premask, and re-apply starting at the halfway point. I would just like to get all the way through a piece without this problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Joe House

Try working in the center of the roller. Some of those are slightly crowned in the center and will cause wrinkles if you're working at the edge of the table.

Good Luck,

DrunknMonk

make sure you put your app tape on as soon as you have weed anything, the longer you leave it the worst it can get.

DrunknMonk

we have had our application table for 4+ years, 6m long. we always had this problem with application tapes, I was told this year it was all to do with the liner, once the vinyl waste has been removed, the vinyl can change the way lies on the release liner so tape as soon as you can, and also do relief cuts between weeding boards if possible

Why not just apply it by hand it doesn't take much longer and comes out just as nice.

When is the last time you replaced the rubber on your squeeze roller? We replace rubber on our laminators and application tables every other year basically. Because of this. Especially on the squeeze rollers. When the edges of your aluminum are constantly falling off the edge and bumping back over top of the aluminum the top rubber roller tends to get worn down. Also the aluminum base roller on the highway rollers is really not ideal for laminating sheeting or putting transfer tape on. These are made more for making aluminum signs.

marrak

Good day, I am getting it with vinyl. Does it mean that the roller have crowned like mention above?