• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Standard Masking Tape - Whatcha Use?

Zac

Mediocre Designer
My guys are complaining about the cheap Uline tape and I agree that it's not the best but it's like $1.50 a roll. Doesn't have enough body and tacks too high.

Trying to keep it around $2 a roll. They swear by the Scotch blue painters tape but they were paying $8 a roll at a locally owned hardware store before I got here.

Just seeing what you guys use and find a happy medium for my installers.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
For what use? General taping? We buy 3M Scotch 234 from Fellers. If you do a lot of wraps, shy away from tape and start using Speed Mags or some other magnetic tools.

decalman

I just bought a bunch of some great tape. 3M 2510 I got it for a dollar a roll. Some guy had it at a swapmeet. he he I got enough for a year or 2.

ams

My guys are complaining about the cheap Uline tape and I agree that it's not the best but it's like $1.50 a roll. Doesn't have enough body and tacks too high.

Trying to keep it around $2 a roll. They swear by the Scotch blue painters tape but they were paying $8 a roll at a locally owned hardware store before I got here.

Just seeing what you guys use and find a happy medium for my installers.

Seeing some of these other peoples posts, I now know why the cost of signs are so high. If you want general masking tape, don't get a specialty tape. Sherwin Williams paint store has an excellent tape that I swear by. It sticks great, doesn't leave glue behind and very very easy to tear off.

Generally a 1" roll is $1.69 and the 2" rolls are $2.89 - $3.49

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ools-supplies/tape-masking/tape/&N=1687655655

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Seeing some of these other peoples posts, I now know why the cost of signs are so high. If you want general masking tape, don't get a specialty tape. Sherwin Williams paint store has an excellent tape that I swear by. It sticks great, doesn't leave glue behind and very very easy to tear off.

Generally a 1" roll is $1.69 and the 2" rolls are $2.89 - $3.49

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ools-supplies/tape-masking/tape/&N=1687655655

We do a ton of wraps and have a ton of GeekWrap magnets, we're good there.

Thanks for the link man, that's exactly what I was looking for a PERFECT price range. I'm sure the 3M tape is amazing but I'm trying to cut every bit of fat from this business and if you're paying 4-5 bucks for tape, so many shops gripe about getting "low balled" by shops like mine now that I'm here, and wonder why they're losing customers left and right.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Most installers use the expensive stuff because from one installation to the next you don't know what conditions you'll face. The expensive tape is made with thicker paper so it doesn't tear as easily, will stay stuck in a wider range of temperatures and still remove cleanly. Nothing worse than trying to position a large graphic on the side of a Trailer and the tape lets go or tears because of wind, high heat, or both. One episode like this per install and your saving are eaten up in labor time wasted. You can reuse the good tape at least once if not more. The really cheap stuff leaves adhesive in high heat as well.

I used 3m 233+ and starting to switch over to IPG AM since the 233+ paper got thinner and it's price kept going up. Intertape Polymer Group AM4855 2 Inch Aqua Masking Tape can be found on Amazon for $6.25 if you buy a case of 24. I like the OM orange better but it's harder to find and more expensive.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We do a ton of wraps and have a ton of GeekWrap magnets, we're good there.

Thanks for the link man, that's exactly what I was looking for a PERFECT price range. I'm sure the 3M tape is amazing but I'm trying to cut every bit of fat from this business and if you're paying 4-5 bucks for tape, so many shops gripe about getting "low balled" by shops like mine now that I'm here, and wonder why they're losing customers left and right.

We keep a couple rolls of 3M 200 around for jobs where low tack tape is absolutely critical (like needing to mask a UV print on non-digital acrylic). Otherwise, we just use the Uline stuff and it works fine for most jobs. If it's too tacky, tell them to stick it on their shirt first. Problem solved. Haha!

Zac

Mediocre Designer
We keep a couple rolls of 3M 200 around for jobs where low tack tape is absolutely critical (like needing to mask a UV print on non-digital acrylic). Otherwise, we just use the Uline stuff and it works fine for most jobs. If it's too tacky, tell them to stick it on their shirt first. Problem solved. Haha!

I keep tape on my shirt sometimes, always try to make it look like a number or something like a jersey, everybody gets a kick out of it.

visual800

i dont know how some of you make it to the end of end month buying all this high end stuff you dont need. we use and have always used 3m tape from lowes. its called professional tape and it aint expensive but aint the cheapest bout $3 for a roll of 3/4". if i need a fine line I use blue fineline from auto paint store.