• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Start-up Graphics Biz for my Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnLVESP

Before even thinking about the budget and what you need to buy. Have your son write a business plan. A business plan will help keep him focused. Most teenagers are easily distracted (Oooo, a shiny object) The business plan can be easily referred back to and updated as business gets bigger. If he wants to get that 20k loan for a printer the bank WILL require a business plan so the experience in writing it will help. Have him do the research so he can see what this business is about.

I started business in 2001 and had a lame business plan. now, I'm restructing to an LLC and almost done with the new business plan. It's required for everything. Find your local SBDC (small business development center) they will help you and your son out.

Keep an eye out i'll be posting info for business plans in the near future.

P

pjcnlv

Thanks again for all the advice. I will say that it is "diverse".

Let me clarify a bit more.

I doubt that my son is destined to be a graphics entrepreneur. He is a straight-A student in a tough, private school and a good athlete with "Blue and Gold" Navy officers speaking to him about Annapolis.

In the near term (we) are looking at this as a better personal opportunity than working for someone else in a typical teenage job.

I will consider raising the budget but, again our requirements are:

* Price
* Reliability
* Simplicity

I am thinking that a small format rig, 12-24" wide would be fine.

Lastly, the "bank" is "dad" and I'm not that easy.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Sign_Boy

Before even thinking about the budget and what you need to buy. Have your son write a business plan. A business plan will help keep him focused. Most teenagers are easily distracted (Oooo, a shiny object) The business plan can be easily referred back to and updated as business gets bigger. If he wants to get that 20k loan for a printer the bank WILL require a business plan so the experience in writing it will help. Have him do the research so he can see what this business is about.

I started business in 2001 and had a lame business plan. now, I'm restructing to an LLC and almost done with the new business plan. It's required for everything. Find your local SBDC (small business development center) they will help you and your son out.

Keep an eye out i'll be posting info for business plans in the near future.

This might help:

http://www.score.org/index.html

Bigdawg

Just Me
We understand what YOUR requirements are. What we are trying to express to you in the nicest possible way is that your budget is unrealistic for your expectations. Period.

Several people have given you some choices to explore. Search for a Roland or graphtec cutter on ebay. Ask your local sign supplier who might be selling a machine. But other then that you are restricted by your budget.

S

SignTech

Thanks again for all the advice. I will say that it is "diverse".

Let me clarify a bit more.

I doubt that my son is destined to be a graphics entrepreneur. He is a straight-A student in a tough, private school and a good athlete with "Blue and Gold" Navy officers speaking to him about Annapolis.

In the near term (we) are looking at this as a better personal opportunity than working for someone else in a typical teenage job.

Great update thanks. Here is your first post (part of it)

"I am here to learn the basics to help my oldest (teenage) son start a vehicle graphics, sticker and sign business."

Now your last post (part of it)

Stick with the future in higher education. The sign business requires love, dedication and time for the learning curve is huge.

This is not a real good part-time gig. What's wrong with him working part time for a sign company? It's great experience and he can see if this is really what he wants. According to your post the interest seems weak. You can always buy a cricut and he can make little stickers to put on cars.

Your financial investment is weak at best. Signs101 is a misnomer and sometimes mis-understood ...... most professionals on here have invested thousands if not almost millions into their companies. I'm afraid you will get great advise here but it will be, get higher end equipment, training.

You say he probably won't even continue with graphics but he wants to start a sign business. Confusing. Well whatever you decide good luck ..... you will soon find out that trying this as a hobby with low ball pricing ... will not net your son a good living and or retirement. ~M

P

pjcnlv

OKay, I think I have the message albeit, I reflect on the diversity of the responses a bit.

With that, let me ask the following:

What is the best, quality cutters that I should look for, i.e. make and model range?

Thanks

Kevin T

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not because the whole premise sounds a little weak.

But if you have to look try Graphtec America, Summa USA or Mimaki. There are certainly others but you can do some research and it may avoid asking to many questions. The specs for the various cutters are listed on each site.

By the way you may want to remember that most of the people on this board are pro's of varying degree and asking for the type info you want so your son can have a hobby while at school is a little insulting to most. I personally know several shops in the Vegas area who sell graphics to various racers. So when you say there is a market that sounds an awful lot like we want to do this cheaper on our own.

I do not know what you do for a living sir but if you imagine me showing up at your place of business with a smile, a lunch and a "I'm ready to start" look on my face I'm guessing you'd graciously show me the door and thank me for coming.

You greatly underestimate what is required and in typical hobby fashion think you can do it on the cheap. The reason is obvious and you said it yourself this is nothing serious for you or your son just something to pass the time until college or his real future begins to take shape. If you really want to teach your son something of value help him to pull a business plan together as was advised above. Stop dreaming of a cheap way to save on your graphics and sell cheap crap to people just to jam a few bucks in your jeans.

I am a graphics entrepreneur and this is how I earn.

Good luck.

Pat Whatley

20" - 24"
Summa, Graphtec, or Roland Plotters (in that order)

Older (i.e. slower) models can be had for around $500 occassionally on ebay but you'll just have to wait one out. I might know where there's a 24" Roland for that, I'll PM you tomorrow if it's still available. Good plotters are fairly bulletproof so if you find one of the brands above you'll be pretty safe and repairs (if you EVER have any) will be fairly simple.

Go ahead and prepare yourself for the beat down he'll take the first time he posts a question on here. Everybody goes through it. I'm really shocked this post hasn't gone that way.........yet.

P

pjcnlv

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not because the whole premise sounds a little weak.

---

Stop dreaming of a cheap way to save on your graphics and sell cheap crap to people just to jam a few bucks in your jeans.

Wow, I never expected this to be such a threatening discussion.

ON a side note, I am in the telecom business. If you use Vonage, you likely use my network. The capital for such an endeavor is counted in 7 figures at minimum.

Good luck.
I wish I could take that with credence but, I think I have fallen on a den of 70% arrogance and 30% "good heart" and not worth my continued time.

Moderator, please remove my post before any other "professionals" become upset.

Sticker Dude

buddy from all of these responces like this you should know that this is not a low budget business or hobby
Here is a Roland great cutter I owned one worked awesome $1695.
http://www.beacongraphics.com/gx-24.html
Just in supplies you will be over $1000. tape, vinyl, tweezers, knife, mat, ECT.
A real budget is more like $5000. to start

Flame

Sorry, you're making it sound like you just want him to get started undercutting the real professionals. Rather than give up in a matter of hours, sit around and learn what this business is all about. If you continue on, learn on your own, you'll waste both your own money and time, plus probably make life just a little tougher on other sign shops in the area that you'll be competing with.

Read my original post, I started at 15... I know where you're coming from and the mentality, just need to tweak it a little now. :)

Sticker Dude

and DO NOT I say again DO NOT start cutting the little swap meet graphics like Calvin pee ons and Chevy and Ford logos COPYRIGHTED plus this forum frowns appon that Trust me I did that when I first started and almost lost my house for being threatened from a lawyer from a stereo shop I used their logo with the calvin pee on NOT A GOOD IDEA!!

SignosaurusRex

Wow, I never expected this to be such a threatening discussion.

ON a side note, I am in the telecom business. If you use Vonage, you likely use my network. The capital for such an endeavor is counted in 7 figures at minimum.

I wish I could take that with credence but, I think I have fallen on a den of 70% arrogance and 30% "good heart" and not worth my continued time.

Moderator, please remove my post before any other "professionals" become upset.
...and what in hell makes you think that getting started in this here biz is only worthy of a meesly $750.00 startup budget? You asked questions and we give you straight up info......and rather nicely too I might add. You sir, are the one with an Arrogance/Good Heart/Brains percentage rate problem! Good Day!

particleman

$750? Yep, it can be done, I've done it. Now can you get a "decent and reliable" plotter for less than that (you need some vinyl to start with too)? That is the question, you will have to buy used but it may be possible to get a used plotter to fit your "decent and reliable" requirement. It will all hinge on your level of ability. I do signs professionally in the day, so coming up with a setup on the side on a shoestring budget was possible since I knew what I was buying. I'm sure it rubs people the wrong way to think that someone can step into the market for < $1,000 and compete with them. Truth is they can. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.