• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting Roll 2 Roll Printing

hatlesschimp

Hi Friends,

I have been making signs with my Co2 cutter and router and I almost make a wage where I dont need to work a fulltime job. I was looking at a flat Bed printer 2513 in size which would have fit in my larger than normal garage with the other machines and a paint room. But I got knocked back on the finance as my business was under 2 years old at 14months. However I still have 30k AUD cash up my sleeve and now shifted my attention to Roll to roll printing. But I have no idea where the best market is to aim for and from that my decision for the suitable printer is made. One experienced person I spoke to said aim for industrial signage. Get a roll to roll and a flatbed laminator.
I really want to invest this cash in the business before the financial year for tax reasons.
Any help would be great, thanks!

Chris from Australia

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Best market is something that you can specialize in and with least competition.
I doubt you will find the simple answer you are looking for. Anyway you still have to do the job and find the customers yourself... as you probably know.
Enjoy.

Btw there's probably tens of threads same as this here already so check them out.

karst41

Hi Friends,

I have been making signs with my Co2 cutter and router and I almost make a wage where I dont need to work a fulltime job. I was looking at a flat Bed printer 2513 in size which would have fit in my larger than normal garage with the other machines and a paint room. But I got knocked back on the finance as my business was under 2 years old at 14months. However I still have 30k AUD cash up my sleeve and now shifted my attention to Roll to roll printing. But I have no idea where the best market is to aim for and from that my decision for the suitable printer is made. One experienced person I spoke to said aim for industrial signage. Get a roll to roll and a flatbed laminator.
I really want to invest this cash in the business before the financial year for tax reasons.
Any help would be great, thanks!

Chris from Australia

Start Up Roll to Roll Shop

HP Latex 315 , 335,365. Avoid Solvent Printers for about a bazillion different reasons.

GFP Laminator with top heat assist and rear take up is a must have option.
Slitter Option later on.

Graphtec FC 9000-140
(I have the 160w but 130w media is all I use

54" (1367.6mm x 46m) is the way to go 60" is just too wide and has no value gain.

Shop table 5'x12' HDPE High Healing Glossy
Your Shop Table is the heart beat of your shop and you will spend all of your day working on it.
DoNOT waste money and time with a 48" table.

The Latex 315 is the Low cost printer to start with. You can Grow into a Flatbed HP UV Printer

The GFP Laminator and the Graphtec FC 9000 -140 You will keep for many years.
Add a smaller cutter for the Spot colors for 24" or 30" wide rolls.

Lastly before you buy all this Make a Block diagram To Scale of your floor space.
Each. piece of equipment will have a foot print.

Your Table will have the Largest footprint, Then The Laminator has a massive foot print and the Printer
has the smallest.

Hope this helps.

hatlesschimp

Start Up Roll to Roll Shop

HP Latex 315 , 335,365. Avoid Solvent Printers for about a bazillion different reasons.

GFP Laminator with top heat assist and rear take up is a must have option.
Slitter Option later on.

Graphtec FC 9000-140
(I have the 160w but 130w media is all I use

54" (1367.6mm x 46m) is the way to go 60" is just too wide and has no value gain.

Shop table 5'x12' HDPE High Healing Glossy
Your Shop Table is the heart beat of your shop and you will spend all of your day working on it.
DoNOT waste money and time with a 48" table.

The Latex 315 is the Low cost printer to start with. You can Grow into a Flatbed HP UV Printer

The GFP Laminator and the Graphtec FC 9000 -140 You will keep for many years.
Add a smaller cutter for the Spot colors for 24" or 30" wide rolls.

Lastly before you buy all this Make a Block diagram To Scale of your floor space.
Each. piece of equipment will have a foot print.

Your Table will have the Largest footprint, Then The Laminator has a massive foot print and the Printer
has the smallest.

Hope this helps.
That's an amazing reply, thanks for the help.
I was doing research on the Epson with the 8 colors but I will now have a squizz at the HP.

karst41

That's an amazing reply, thanks for the help.
I was doing research on the Epson with the 8 colors but I will now have a squizz at the HP.
I hope it works out well for you. There is a Latex Group on Facebook. It is a very good group.
and the Complaints on the newer model printers with White Ink,,, not good at all totally horrific on the consumables.

See you there.

johnnysigns

Why roll to roll Vs flatbed? Do you plan on primarily printing directly to rigid substrates? I ask because all the mounting you'll have to do with a roll to roll onto rigid substrates. Registration can become a bit of a problem if you're cutting everything afterwards.

truckgraphics

If you are going to print on the substrate with a flatbed, then cut on a router, you need space...We farm out most things that are best done with a flatbed - magnets, yard signs, banners too. The outsourcers are much cheaper than we could do it in-house.

Don't know why latex roll printer is necessarily better than a UV roller. I would check both out.

We like our Roland because it prints and cuts. Does a great job and saves space.

Roll laminator is cheaper than flatbed laminator by a ton. Same for roll and flatbed printers.

But it all depends on your business plan. Again, flatbed owning companies can make stuff a lot cheaper than we can, but the up front investment is several times higher. And the marketing expenses to bring in the volume are going to be orders of magnitudes higher...But if you have the customers, and the plan for it, you might be able to make a ton.

You need machines, but machinery doesn't make your business. You can always buy newer, better, larger machinery. Your business plan is most important.

CanuckSigns

So you were aiming for a flatbed printer, then because the bank said no, you switched to a roll to roll printer? This isn't making any sense, it sounds like you haven't done your homework and are just looking for something to spend money on before tax season is due, if that's the case send it to me lol!

Sit down and figure out what products you want to make, from there you can figure out the machines you need to make them. Industrial signage is a good market, they typically pay a premium over off-the-street clients, but there are tradeoffs, quick turnaround is expected, and they won't pay for artwork/design