• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static cling removal

Iam504signs

Did this ever happened to anyone after removing static cling?
After removing it and cleaning the glass it left a dark square where the static cling installed on the glass?

Attachments

• PXL_20210624_184021122.jpg
    PXL_20210624_184021122.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is there window tint on the glass? I've seen other things leave impressions when left too long on window tint. Not the tint that is in the glass, but something applied to the glass.

Iam504signs

Is there window tint on the glass? I've seen other things leave impressions when left too long on window tint. Not the tint that is in the glass, but something applied to the glass.
Yes there is mirror tint behind the glass and this static cling the customer had bought online from Vistaprint and has only been on the glass for maybe a month and started pealing. So they had called me up to do vinyl lettering on the door

Last edited:

SignEST

Is it in the glass itself or just ghosted onto the window tint film? Unlikely that it's imprinted onto the glass, probably just the sun bleaching it at a different rate. Sorta like a stencil but I'm sure you already figured that out.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've seen graphics ghost tint..but not after 1 month and not that clearly. Maybe dark colored ink caused it to heat up? Glad he bought it from Vista Print and not you...sounds like a "their" problem to me.

CanuckSigns

Save this picture and show it to potential clients when they tell you they can buy it online for less.

Vista print won't do anything as they didn't install it, looks like the customer is on the hook for a new glass insert for their front door, but at least they saved $50 on the cling!

Iam504signs

I've seen graphics ghost tint..but not after 1 month and not that clearly. Maybe dark colored ink caused it to heat up? Glad he bought it from Vista Print and not you...sounds like a "their" problem to me.
Yeah you right lol.
I was just curious if anybody had seen that before. So it can ghost the tint even though the tint is behind the glass and not on the actual graphic?

Iam504signs

Save this picture and show it to potential clients when they tell you they can buy it online for less.

Vista print won't do anything as they didn't install it, looks like the customer is on the hook for a new glass insert for their front door, but at least they saved $50 on the cling!
I most definitely will save that photo Thank you!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah you right lol.
I was just curious if anybody had seen that before. So it can ghost the tint even though the tint is behind the glass and not on the actual graphic?
Yes. I've seen it with vinyl graphics on windows. The graphics protect the tint underneath it so it doesn't fade like the rest of the tint.... it's the same thing that happens with almost any substrate... lexan, vehicles, trailers... the vinyl protects it from the sun so when you remove there is a ghosted image behind. It's something that I wouldn't expect to happen in 1 month though.