• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static on pallets of Palram Palight 3mm PVC

learning

We work primarily with 3mm Palight Premium foamed PVC, masked on one side. We're accustomed to the static discharge when removing the mask. Our static bar on the printer, blowing some compressed air over it, and Louisiana humidity, eliminate any printing issues with static.

Our problems are more about material handling.

We buy the material in pallet quantities, as we've found as we get to towards the bottom of the pallet, the static buildup on sheets gets progressively worse. By the time we reach the last 20 or so sheets, we're going to get shocked pretty intensely after picking up a sheet . By the last 5, it's a torturous game.

The material is sitting on a wood pallet, i suppose with no way for the static charge to go, and -- just guessing here -- as we remove each sheet the friction increases static on what's left.

I tried putting a metallic garland under/around the bottom sheets, and even connected the garland with copper wire to a metal door frame nearby (perhaps I need to connect to an outlet ground). This seems to have helped somewhat, but certainly has not eliminated the problem.

I see lots of options for static -- cords, copper garlands, ionizer guns, ESD matts, boot straps, gloves, etc. Most seemed to be geared towards the machining or printing process. I'm just trying to get it off the pallet where it sits. Hoping somebody can tell me what works!

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
6mm DiBond is even better - damned huge body jolting capacitor. Fortunately we don't seem to have many dry days in London.
I've not found insulating myself from ground (decent multi trade boots) helps much - I get the feeling that static prefers flesh to plastic - got zapped right in the middle of my eyebrow the other day lifting a sheet of 3mm Forex off the sheet cutter.

brdesign

I've taken the copper garland, grounded one end to a piece of grounded equipment and wrap the other end around my wrist to ground myself.