• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Steam cleaner/pressure washer?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hi all,
Anyone have recommendations for buying one of these?
I have a job that will require one and don't know anything about them.
I have started to look on the net but I don't know which brand(s) to look for.
I'll need something dependable that would have to hold up running daily for 4 to 6 months.
I am guessing gas powered - propane burning might be best with some of the locations having iffy electrical supplies near by but again I don't know enough about them to choose.

thanks
wayne k
guam usa

Doug Pulver

Probably the oldest and most popular is the Steam Jenny. There are a lot of different manufactures out there. Most run off of electric to power the pump and fire the burner. All the steam cleaners I've used use kerosene or fuel oil fired burner to heat the water. These things are very heavy due to the coil of tubing in the burner.

Most that I've used are 220 VAC and require a 30 amp service.

There are units that just heat the water and use hi pressure to blast off the dirt and grease. There are also ones will dispense chemicals (soap) picking it up through a suction hose and mixing it with the hot water.

If you are going to use a steam cleaner or hot water pressure washer to clean grease off of vehicles there are certain DEA regulations. The company I work for just go fined heavily for letting the greasy water leak into the soil even though we had a recovery system in place. They're waiting on soil samples to see how much excavating of contaminated soil will need to be done.

I hope this has helped.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thanks,
what I am looking for is a way to knock a large amount of vinyl graphics off some trucks & trailers.
I figured a high pressure, high heat steam cleaner would be the best way with the least mess.

wayne k
guam usa

BobM

I had a pair of 3'X12' acrylic panels with loads of copy to remove so I bought a $50 wagner wallpaper steamer. Can't believe how well and how fast it worked.