• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stepper or Servo Motors

TrumanL

I am thinking about buying a viynl cutter, for some smaal biz work and maybe a little at home income. Any idea on eqmt? and what is the deal with a stepper are Servo motor? And what is the deal with the machine that offers vinyl cutting and engraving?
Thanks for any help

Flame

Forget the machine that does both engraving and contour cutting. The engraving thing is probably just a diamond tipped pen and it doesn't do all THAT great of a job engraving. If you want to do engraving, buy an engraver. If you wanted to cut vinyl, buy a plotter. And careful of any BS you may find on ebay.

That's my $0.02 anyways.

When speaking about vinyl plotters, stepper motors are used in the lower quality machines. Servos, by far, are a better component - and as Fred states, much faster and accurate.

The problem, in regards to plotters, lies in the fact that when a manufacturer is looking to "cheapen" a machine (via the use of steppers), the also use many other inferior components.

Undoubtedly, you have seen the stepper machines on EBay. They are pure crap IF you have any intentions of providing quality work for hire. A few people here have them, and most do not like them (the machines) and their issues.

Expect to spend no less than than $1500 for a quality entry level machine that will give you decent service. The cheapest full featured machine (not entry level) entry level will start at $1700.

TrumanL

Thanks for all the great info, I belive if its worth doing, do it right the first time, even if you have to wait a little longer to get going. You can't get cream from powered milk1