• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sticky backing on arlon dp 8000 contour cutting problem

lee a

Has anyone came across arlon dp 8000 with a waxy backing. I'm contour cutting this material and its a nightmare. The other material that is a nightmare to contour cut is the t shirt material. It is as if when the rollers change direction it slides momenTARILY and through time keeps throwing the cut off.
The other materials ive had the same prob with is the t-shirt vinyl.
Are there any tricks of the trade for this problem?
Rollers are at full pressure,
Thanks again

timstudio

dp 8000 tends to shrink on the roll, leaving sticky adhesive on the side. This collects under the guides at the edges and disturbed the movement of the vinyl through the machine. I hate the material and hate even more that i have to use it often. It kills the machine! I've had severe head strikes due to this problem with the 8000.

kanini

We use the same material with the same stickyness and on the Rolands you can try to remove the media clamps alltogether and not use any, helps a bit. And go sloow with a new knife. But it's tricky to cut, even on the Summa. Seems like the backing is quite slippery...

lee a

that's what ~i'm getting, I've totally removed the guides either side, have to clean the rear of the machine every run and give the machine a light layer of wd40 on the sides. I'm cutting slowly and have magnets ordered to use as guides ...seems like a real nightmare... they arent all the same are there? Do you know of anything the same, even a little more expensive with a less waxy backing... why would they ever make it with a waxed backing has me... thanks for your comments

Bly

We found the Arlon 8000 made a massive mess in our latex printers so moved to LG 3880.
The adhesive is just as aggressive but doesn't leak out the edges and go everywhere.

pjfmeister

Printing this stuff on the Mutoh's we pop out a roller on each end so the rollers don't get close to the edges of the material and don't use the material guides. When cutting don't print anywhere close to the max width so your rollers on the plotter can be set inside the edge.
As far as the waxing backing causing the prints to slip when cutting we noticed it skewing in any cuts over 8' long. So we keep the print/cut under this length and cut slow.

Still lots of cleanup of glue off the platen of the printer/laminator and plotter when finished.

I would like to switch materials if anybody has one they recommend for ink jets.

lee a

I like it for the rice though I'm cutting out laminated quad graphics on it... the speed I'm using is painfully slow and the width were running 132 max but the skew as you say is terrible, even with the pen on 5 volts.
If anyone knows of a material like for like in price id definately be interested too. Great for printing and sticking but for cutting... nightmare comes to mind. Glad it isn't only me, well... you know what i mean... thanks for the interest and the updates on this post