• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sticky Yard from Fellers?

TLG

Through the years I've used several methods to scale, design and cut graphics for vehicles. Has anyone used the Sticky Yard software in Fellers catalog yet? :help: If so, how about some feedback as to it's accuracy and ease of use for the price ($50).

Thanks!

Graphics2u

I don't use it but i watched the video and it seems very easy to use and I'm sure it's fairly accurate.

Might try it.

Checkers

I'm confident that it is extremely accurate.
The variable is the end user, the quality of the software and/or hardware they use to capture and manipulate the image. It's the old garbage in, garbage out routine.

Checkers

TLG

Thanks for feedback (and the forum link Rep). Like I said, I/we've all used different methods. In the previous forum, they were talking about inaccuracy of 1/4 -2". For now I don't wrap and could probably live with being a little off. I'm just looking for a quicker, more accurate way to have the dig pix and measurements for all sides. One thing I've used is either white or black 12" circle mags. I can import a .jpg into Composer (I know, it's ancient but it works), then size until the mag is right. I have 2006 Vehicle Outlines too, but I still find myself second guessing these methods.

Al

Checkers

Hiya Al,
It's not a bad thing to second guess the methods you employ. Even though I am confident with the accuracy of Pro Vehicle Ooutlines, nobody's perfect. I always double check my measurements against the actual vehicle I'm lettering.
Simply put, there are no short-cuts in the sign business. It comes down to investing the time into the design to insure that you have accurate measurements. Sure it takes a little extra time and effort, but it beats having to do the job over because you assumed that the client gave you good info or a picture enlarged in some software was accurate.

Checkers

TLG

Thanks Brian,
Yeah, it just seems like I spend a lot of time measuring 15 different areas, messin with dig files blah, blah... Thought this might be a way to cut down on some of that. 10 years and I feel like my other skills have matured but I feel like a toddler still doing it this way.

Checkers

Ya, it stinks, but If there's a better way, I want to know too! It's the only way I'm aware of that is 99% accurate. After all, I'm only human :)
Actually, the one "trick" you can use is to allow for some extra "fudge factor" in your designs. This takes a little more effort to still make the design look good, but your installers will appreciate it.

Checkers

onthego signguy

I got sticky yard.. I found that it does not eliminate the needed extra time to do a bunch of extra measuring of autos so I am sure that the stuff I am cutting will fit. I have almost stopped using it to do autos. Where it has come in real use is being able to measure those places I can’t reach like windows up high on store fronts or monument signs 30 feet in the air. The latest was a guy that said the sign on his store front was 24 x 36, I had the laptop popped the photo showed the guy that the sign was a 30x 40 and did some quick lay-up and got the job. I will say that being the non-believer I am I got the ladder out and climbed up to measure the sign and the ^&^%bg thing was dead on 30x40,1/2 OK off by ½ inch I can live with.

TLG

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Think I'll just keep crawling along the same way as before until a better mousetrap comes along.
:>)