• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

STILL Having problems with Mutoh VJ-1604 PLEASE HELP

ElJay

Ok....

About one month ago I performed a simple damper change on my VJ-1604. Not a complicated procedure, and one I've done on other printers but never this one before. I have a service manual and followed the directions to the letter, being very careful as I know how fragile some parts of a digital printer can be...especially near the print head.

Everything was fine for about a week...then I noticed dropout in my black channels..Which got progressively worse.

Long story short, after changing out 3 sets of dampers, a new Maintenance Station, new O-rings, checking all connections repeatedly, countless strong cleanings and ink fills, and about 7 ink carts....I still can't print any black.

The black dampers never fill more than about halfway.

I can put a syringe on the connected damper and pull ink through.

I soaked the print head overnight..it's good.

Called a "tech"...nothing they've told me to try has worked or phone calls/emails go unanswered..

My printer's been down over two weeks now...If ANYONE has any insight or knows of ANYONE in southern California which might be knowlegable or helpful enough to know what's going on, I'd really appreciate it.

ALL I DID WAS CHANGE THE F**KING DAMPERS!!!!! (Sorry...but this is driving me insane and I really can't afford to waste much more time or materials chasing this problem.)

bernina

ElJay, can you tell me what you mean with "then I noticed dropout in my black channels". I think Mutoh 1604 is similar to VJ 1204, I think I know which way the wind blows.

Bernina.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Hi Eljay,

We are an authorized reseller for Mutoh and we have knowledgeable technicians that can resolve the issues you are having with your printer. Give us a call at 909-393-1333 M-F 9-5pm PST and ask for Joe.

ElJay

ElJay, can you tell me what you mean with "then I noticed dropout in my black channels". I think Mutoh 1604 is similar to VJ 1204, I think I know which way the wind blows.

Bernina.

When running a nozzle check I'd notice a few missing spots in the black..No big deal. But I'd send a job which would run fine for a while and the black would drop out completely. Again, no big deal. My experience with other printers led me to assume the heads/dampers weren't filled all the way..this was shortly after the damper change. A few cleanings and little charges took care of it...Then I lost black completely and couldn't get it to recover.

bernina

I'm pretty sure what is the problem. I had it in my machine The problem is that there're air in the tubes.
When you do a little charge the pump suck the ink throught the dampers and it filles a little. After that, if you disassemble the rear cover of the machine, you will see that the ink turns to the cartridge. It sounds very easy, but no technician knowed the problem, very shameful.

Be brave, take your time and follow this steps, I'm sure you will solve the problem and your machine will come back printing. :smile:

1 - Disassemble the rear cover of the machine and you will see something like the draw I attach.
2 - Disconnect the cooper thread from the part #1, beware not to lose a little o-ring.
3 - Take a syringe and suck very slowly, stop and look if the ink returns to the cartridge. If not, here is the problem.

Tell me if the ink stops or returns to the cartridge and I will be very happy to help you.

Hope you understand me explanations, limited by the language.

Bernina.

p.d: If you call a technician is very possible it will tell you to change the pump, don't do that, please.

Attachments

• eljay.png
    eljay.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 141

floater302

If it happened after damper change, and the black went empty in the head i would go in service mode and do a ink charge. this is what i have to do when i replace my heads to get them to start firing.