• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stock Photography Sources

acothran

In light of recent events on this forum and Cptcorn's great post regarding copyright laws, I thought it might be a good idea to revisit sources for stock photography, illustrations, and other graphics. On Cptcorn's thread someone even recently mentioned Photobucket which is no different than ripping an photo from Google images.

I think it is important to be reminded that when we purchase a stock image or royalty free content, not all license agreements are the same. Here on the forum I recently shared a link to a business card calendar that was free. I wanted to make sure so I emailed the designer who told me that I could use it on any design I create/sell, as long as I don't sell the calendar or include it in any art package I might sell. I also know iStockPhoto has a standard license and extended license. The extended license means you pay more but you also have more flexibility with what you are legally allowed to do with the image (i.e. unlimited runs of a product using that image). Also, some places, like iStockphoto, will provide you with a legal guarantee that can compensate you for legal fees/damages should you encounter a lawsuit from using a photo from iStock (for details, see their FAQ).

I am no expert on stock images and graphics but thought I would start the thread. I would love to hear your input on sources. Below are some of the more common sites, some of which I regularly use.

Stock Exchange - not a as big of a selection/sizes but hey, it's FREE!!
iStockPhoto
Fotosearch
Corbis Images
Big Stock Photo

Allen