• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storefronts - Interior or Exterior?

royster13

I have started to look at where vinyl is applied and see quite a lot of window / door graphics installed on the interior of the glass......Although I do not install much, when I do, I do it on the outside.....How do you do it?....

d fleming

Depends on product and law. Quite a lot of my storefront installs are for the liquor industry and must be applied to the interior of windows ( depending on anybody's lawyers interpretation of tide house laws). For interior application I print in reverse on clear then lam with white vinyl.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I've surveyed numerous locations that were in pretty rough parts of town that used polycarbonate in place of glass and 2nd surface vinyl. For them I guess it was worth it, but generally, as mentioned, 1st surface looks much better.

S'N'S

I think it depends on what colors the client wants to use, darker color designs stuck outside and bright colored designs inside. Most of my customers want it inside so kids can't pick at it unless it's up high enough they can't reach.

bigben

Depends on product and law. Quite a lot of my storefront installs are for the liquor industry and must be applied to the interior of windows ( depending on anybody's lawyers interpretation of tide house laws). For interior application I print in reverse on clear then lam with white vinyl.

Sorry for the question, but how do you manage a print and cut job using this procedure?

tsgstl

Movie theaters are the only problem I have had with picking. On the inside too

I see no reason for inside installs for the most part. Glare alone is worth doing on the outside.

d fleming

Sorry for the question, but how do you manage a print and cut job using this procedure?

Haven't run into that yet, but if I did I would most likely put the piece on a light table then use a sharpie and ruler to transfer registration marks for plotter to read.

royster13

I recall reading that all the UV protection was on the finished side of the Vinyl...How is it affected by installing on inside?....

Mosh

Outside, shows up way better. Glass will make too much glare. Only time I do inside is when the customer is a PITA, then the price goes up and most of them give in.

Dennis Schaub

We do about half and half, like many have mentioned, outside looks better, inside is safer. If you are really feeling crazy, we have gotten into the habit of doing both... at the same time. So you would put your main copy on the outside, with a shadow or outline on the inside. Gives it a dimensional feel. More work, coming back off, but that is someone else's job right? ;)

jfiscus

Rap Master
We usually try to put them on the outside of the window whenever possible.

In most instances where we have installed on the inside of the window it was due to the constraints of the local sign ordinances when the company is already at its maximum sf allowance for exterior signage or exterior signage is not allowed.

Bly

I always advise outside but many customers are afraid of vandalism.

Then I give them what they want and just bank the cheque.

petepaz

we do both but i tell them outside gives a better result. i have actually had to re-do two jobs because the customer couldn't read it that well on the inside and i warned them about that so they paid to have it done again