• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Strange Issue on LX3000

rfulford

Hello all. We are running a wallpaper job on our new latex printer where we encounter a mottling problem halfway through each panel. We just got off the phone with the HP tech who was little to no help. I thought I would run this issue by everyone here. I have attached photos of a sample image we ran immediately after calibration and the same image that now exhibits the problem. The media is Korographics Abacco Beach. Here is what we have tried:

Checked the tiff file written by Caldera in photoshop. Looks normal
Cropped the file to the area where the mottling first starts. The cropped file does not mottle and prints fine
Queued up a full image file after the cropped file. Once again, the cropped prints properly but mottles once the next file in the queue starts printing immediately afterwards.

We are really stumped and so is HP apparently. We are waiting on a call back from a more advanced tech but being the weekend now, I am not too hopeful for the call back. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• Normal.jpg
    Normal.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Mottled.jpg
    Mottled.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 58
That is really strange. Normally I would first think about contaminated media, but based on your description, it sounds like the problem comes and goes in successive jobs on the same media roll. The Latex 3000 uses optimizer and IR heaters in the carriage. If there are issues with either of these, I could see coalescence like this being a likely result.

Sorry I can't offer more assistance.

rfulford

Turned out to be the media. Really tough luck. 3 rolls of 60 yard media gave us the same problem but we have had no issues whatsoever with 30 yard rolls. Strange.

C

ColoPrinthead

Turned out to be the media. Really tough luck. 3 rolls of 60 yard media gave us the same problem but we have had no issues whatsoever with 30 yard rolls. Strange.
Sounds like the 3 rolls were most likely from the same lot. Frustrating, but at least you know your printer is working properly. Were you able to get the rolls replaced?