• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stringing Fabric Banner to Create Shade

nolanola

Hello,

A friend of ours wants us to help her with her coffee shop patio. The patio is too hot and needs shade for the summer; the patio is 12' x 35' and the shade should reach 12' x 20'. We were thinking about overlapping triangle shaped mesh or fabric banner with ornament prints on them. It gets windy in New Orleans, that's why we're considering mesh. We were thinking about using turnbuckles with the grommets in the material along the wall and the fence. What do you think would be the best way to install this considering the wind?

I've attached an image of the patio.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20160604_122649.jpg
    IMG_20160604_122649.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 112

threeputt

That's an easy one. I would steer her onto "shade sails". Commercially available under that name. Sorry, but it won't result in any work for your shop, but she will be infinetly happier with those.

I have two of the triangle shaped ones in the back yard of one of my homes. They're terrific! They keep out 90% of UV light.

They have sewn in hems and sewn in corner brackets. They stretch. Be aware, though. They have to be pulled very tightly using turnbuckles. (at least 100 pounds of pull) The "designer" method of mounting these to create a more "interesting" look, is to have some of the posts or mounts higher than each other. Gives a parabolic look to them.

Even Lowes and HomeDepot sell them, but they are not of the quality of the Shade Sail company. I think they are out of Australia.

Good luck. I love mine!