• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Sub-surface signs bubbling

Chuck Peterson

I need a way to make sub-surface acrylic signs that do not bubble on the back. I have applied vinyl letters and painted the back. I have Gerber Edge printed on clear vinyl, then painted, or added solid color vinyl behind that. Either way, sometimes the vinyl and/or paint pulls away where the double side tape or silicone attaches the sign to the wall, leaving an unsightly spot. It only happens on a very small percentage of the signs. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

2B

so you are applying tape to paint and wanting the paint to hold the weight of the sign up?

I would look into using physical fasteners (stand-off mounts or french cleats) or have more tape / silicone on the sign to distribute the weight better across the sign

Johnny Best

Do not know how big a sign this is but after doing what TammieH suggest, make sure you let your paint cure before using vinyl over it, mount it to a 1/8" all around smaller pvc panel (3mm or 6mm)l and put VHB tape or silicone on that. Mount that to the wall with VHB or silicone. Sounds like your paint or vinyl has not cured good enough and is being "pulled" up from the adhesive and tape.
Also the suggestion of standoffs and french cleat for mounting might be your next move or some sort of frame to put your sign into.