• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sub Tank Overfilling on UJF-6042 MKII

Smoke_Jaguar

Less of a request for help, more of a handy tidbit of information for folks getting the same issues.

Had constant overfill errors on the 6042MKII and found to be not the sub-tank that was the problem, but the filters (part #M022219). Seems that over time, the clear membrane (covered in foil) likes to stretch out and act as a bit of an ink bag. So, usually over a night or two, would turn on the printer to this error. Thankfully it was an easy fix and was just behind the ink supply bottle side rear panel. Changing a sub-tank can be a huge pain, so nice that a cheaper and easier item to replace was the culprit in my case.

Also, while back there, if you run primer, be wary of blown line seals. Seems it causes the little tube seals to swell up and break connections. I had a cracked fitting on a valve assembly (M015864) that I also replaced back there.

Hope this helps someone who might be having the same issue.

DanG40

I have had this ongoing issue for a week now with my White print head.
I replaced both the white subtanks (M021937) and also both of the white filters (M022219).
This rectified the issues for a day or so but the error has returned.
is there anything further I can do on my part before getting the dreaded techs in that will cost me an arm and a leg?
Machine is 6 years old so don't want to go spending 1000s on it.

dudeinthemoon

Most of the ink supply errors, overflow or ink leaking from the printhead on UJFMKII caused by air pressure issues.
No point of replacing ink filters, overflow on the subtank means printhead couldn’t drain needed amount and greater amount of ink was added to the subtank, which caused subtank overflow.
During cleaning, fill up, purging etc. positive pressure to subtank pushing ink through the printhead, most of the time negative pressure holding the ink in subtank. Each airline has filter, in case of ujf6042mk2 the filter will be in subtank. Clogged air filter in subtank can easily cause both overflow and leaking. Also there is air solenoids controlling pressures to the subtank, these solenoids also the weak spot in the system.

DanG40

Most of the ink supply errors, overflow or ink leaking from the printhead on UJFMKII caused by air pressure issues.
No point of replacing ink filters, overflow on the subtank means printhead couldn’t drain needed amount and greater amount of ink was added to the subtank, which caused subtank overflow.
During cleaning, fill up, purging etc. positive pressure to subtank pushing ink through the printhead, most of the time negative pressure holding the ink in subtank. Each airline has filter, in case of ujf6042mk2 the filter will be in subtank. Clogged air filter in subtank can easily cause both overflow and leaking. Also there is air solenoids controlling pressures to the subtank, these solenoids also the weak spot in the system.
Thanks for the info, so process from here, what would you recommend?

dudeinthemoon

If the subtanks are already replaced but the issue persists then 3-way air valve assy (E301282) needs replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_4965.jpeg
    IMG_4965.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 75

dudeinthemoon

It’s mostly removing the covers and unplugging some cables. Not too complicated if you know what you’re doing and prepared to fix what you may damage. If you feel confident replacing the subtank this wouldn’t be a problem

DanG40

It’s mostly removing the covers and unplugging some cables. Not too complicated if you know what you’re doing and prepared to fix what you may damage. If you feel confident replacing the subtank this wouldn’t be a problem
Awesome, thanks so much for your help, will reply back with any further questions and outcomes, really appreciate it.

DanG40

Hi again
So the 3 way air valve was replaced and issue still remains.
I also have a fun new problem/issue.
I am now getting the error
SYSTEM HALT (1)
11f : PCB Slider
Im assuming that there is an issue with the board and that needs reaplacing, could this be a reason as to why I was getting the overflow issue also?
Any further info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Smoke_Jaguar

Remote chance that is the cause. Check to see if any connections got snagged or disconnected. PCB sliders aren't cheap, so good to double check before replacing one of those.

Could potentially be a head fault as well that is messing with the slider PCB. But tends to give a head error in that case. Poke around, look for damage, etc.

dudeinthemoon

Slider-T pcb very rarely go out by itself. Most likely some connections were damaged during air valve replacement. The error means main pcb got no response from slider pcb. Recheck all connections on slider.
If heads are still leaking inks double check and replace o-rings on air lines fittings on all subtanks. In case if you have grey o-rings replace them with blue ones.
PM me if you’ll need slider-t pcb

Landrik

I'm having the same problem on our UJF-6042MKII. I think its related as it started with some Error 61D Neg pressure cant be kept on positive side and Error 620 positive pressure cant be kept on the negative side but those messages would disappear. Now at boot it shows error 61A _ 2 _ _ _ _ _ _ and once booted InkOverflow _ CL _ _ _ _ _ _. I'm assuming this is the clear subtank and/or issue with the 3-way air valve. I have both parts being delivered.

Do you all think I could disable that primer/clear print head in a #settings menu and temporarily bypass that error message?
Or draw some of that clear ink from the sub-tank via syringe so the error message went away?

Just looking for a short term fix so I can print customer waiting orders until the problem can be fixed. Thanks.

Last edited:

Smoke_Jaguar

I'm having the same problem on our UJF-6042MKII. I think its related as it started with some Error 61D Neg pressure cant be kept on positive side and Error 620 positive pressure cant be kept on the negative side but those messages would disappear. Now at boot it shows error 61A _ 2 _ _ _ _ _ _ and once booted InkOverflow _ CL _ _ _ _ _ _. I'm assuming this is the clear subtank and/or issue with the 3-way air valve. I have both parts being delivered.

Do you all think I could disable that primer/clear print head in a #settings menu and temporarily bypass that error message?
Or draw some of that clear ink from the sub-tank via syringe so the error message went away?

Just looking for a short term fix so I can print customer waiting orders until the problem can be fixed. Thanks.
61a/overflow is usually a sign of a worn cartridge valve letting ink link from the bottle station into the subtank and overfilling it. Part # M015864, not terribly expensive to swap, can also try taking the valve apart and stretching the spring out some to see if that makes it close better. Not a critical issue, but you'll be running through quite a bit of ink draining the subtank to the mid-level (lo, hi and overflow on the 3-zone sensor). As for disabling the head, can just toss some flush on those channels and not use them. The valve swap can typically be done in under an hour and it's a $23-30 part, so not terrible.

Also, hello to another Oklahoman!

Landrik

61a/overflow is usually a sign of a worn cartridge valve letting ink link from the bottle station into the subtank and overfilling it. Part # M015864, not terribly expensive to swap, can also try taking the valve apart and stretching the spring out some to see if that makes it close better. Not a critical issue, but you'll be running through quite a bit of ink draining the subtank to the mid-level (lo, hi and overflow on the 3-zone sensor). As for disabling the head, can just toss some flush on those channels and not use them. The valve swap can typically be done in under an hour and it's a $23-30 part, so not terrible.

Also, hello to another Oklahoman!
Thanks I'll start with that!

Landrik

Thanks, got the service manual but could use the parts list if anyone has on the UJF-6042 MlI

Questions:
When doing the air pressure check for Negative I see the following:

1710531685534.png

Is the top line telling me during the Negative test my Neg pressure is -2.29 and Pos is -0.01 (which prob doesnt matter)
Line 2 Pump status I get, what is 172? It often shows zero, goes to a number, back to zero.

Positive seems to be a problem
1710531911603.png

Started beeping almost immediately. After 14 secs above pic.