• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subbing out some design work?

Andy D

I'm looking for a company to send off the design work for small jobs like business cards & some signs.
I have heard of "Fiver" anyone use them? Or another company?

Marty M

omigraphics.com does a great job and has sign/install experience to back it up. give them a look see

victor bogdanov

I've use fiverr hundreds of times with great results. What I've learned is go for a designer that has the most reviews/ good reviews. Do not go for new/cheap designers. If they charge say $25 to design something, I contact them and give them a budget of $50-75, that will get you great work and fast

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I came across this the other day, seems tempting. https://designpickle.com/

Maybe not the best answer if you just need the odd job set up, but I'm seriously considering giving them a shot. For us our biggest bottleneck is setting up layouts/proofs, and getting files ready to print. If these guys can do this for $500/month, that's a helluva lot less than a full time designer's salary.

Anyone worked with Design Pickle before?

(Sorry Andy D, not trying to hijack your thread, I swear!)

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I'm looking for a company to send off the design work for small jobs like business cards & some signs.
I have heard of "Fiver" anyone use them? Or another company?
Is your graphic designer not keeping up? Or do you not have a dedicated one, and you are looking to relieve people wearing multiple hats (which, perhaps is you)?

Andy D

Is your graphic designer not keeping up? Or do you not have a dedicated one, and you are looking to relieve people wearing multiple hats (which, perhaps is you)?

Yes it's me..
It is a plans print shop that brought me on so they can offer signage & I'm the only one.
The business owner is a great guy, but he offers way too many different products, IMHO..
Business cards, postcards, apparel, etc.. . It's just me and another guy at this shop and he can't design
or recreate logos.

Andy D

White Haus You see they offer a one month 100% satisfaction guarantee, right?
It's not my business, so I can't just pull the trigger, but if it were, I would try them out for sure.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
So I have a fair amount of experience with Fiverr and subbing out design type work.

1.) Sites like design pickle are profitable because they will work on 1 design at a time, and take 24hrs to send it to you. So really, if there are 22 working days in a month, you will likely get 22 or fewer designs out of them for $500. Not a bad deal, but keep this in mind.

2.) When using sites like fiverr, I would suggest testing the waters a bit. If you are looking to sub up some basic design, come up with 3-4 test designs that you need made up, then have 2-4 different designers do the same thing. Generally, you can get stuff done for $10 or less (Maybe even a fiver...). So testing a few designers isn't that costly and will get your project off the ground faster. Once you do this a couple of times with the same group, a leader will likely emerge and you can just start working with them exclusively.

3.) The last bit of advice I have on this topic is realize what you are looking for. You are NOT looking for a good designer. You are looking for someone that communicates with you well, someone that thinks on your same wavelength, and someone that YOU think is a good designer. The best designer for you to hire, is likely NOT the best designer for me to hire.

Good luck!!

CanuckSigns

I came across this the other day, seems tempting. https://designpickle.com/

Maybe not the best answer if you just need the odd job set up, but I'm seriously considering giving them a shot. For us our biggest bottleneck is setting up layouts/proofs, and getting files ready to print. If these guys can do this for $500/month, that's a helluva lot less than a full time designer's salary.

Anyone worked with Design Pickle before?

(Sorry Andy D, not trying to hijack your thread, I swear!)

Thanks for posting this Pat, I've thought about using them as well, but I was under the impression is is more for if you are looking for designs for your own business, not as a service, if that makes sense.

If you do decide to try it out let me know how it works!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Thanks for posting this Pat, I've thought about using them as well, but I was under the impression is is more for if you are looking for designs for your own business, not as a service, if that makes sense.

I think that it is actually setup like a subcontract design service for trades where fiverr is more for the 1 off individual. I think it's a good idea, it's hard for a small guy to keep a designer busy 40 hours a week and also a real time suck for the owner to have to do it all while trying to run the business.

Andy D

I signed up for a month & will let you know how well it works out.

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Will do! I had a chat with one of their guys yesterday that seemed very familiar with the sign/print industry and basically said they could handle all our needs. Vehicle graphic/wrap set up, setting up proofs w/ job specs for customers, then converting those into print-ready files w/ bleeds, cutlines, nesting etc. I've got a zoom call with them today and will report back!

From the sounds of it the "premium" plan might be ideal, but I'm not in a rush to drop a grand to test it out. I think if all goes well today with the zoom demo we'll try out the basic plan. Only real advantage of the next step up is same day files and you have "your guy" that you deal with and can chat with throughout the day, rather than just dealing with whoever is available. With that being said, the way he explained it is that we would provide them with specs (video or instructions) so they know exactly how we want things set up. How we like the proofs to look, how we want files saved etc etc. That would stay in our file so theoretically if we create the proper systems/instructions, it should be easy to follow by anyone.

This is something I've been wanting to do anyways (create systems so anyone can do the file set up that I'm usually stuck doing myself) so it seems like a good excuse to try.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I think that it is actually setup like a subcontract design service for trades where fiverr is more for the 1 off individual. I think it's a good idea, it's hard for a small guy to keep a designer busy 40 hours a week and also a real time suck for the owner to have to do it all while trying to run the business.

Yeah cashflow-wise it's a genius business model, assuming their designers are good and can quickly grasp what is needed. I'd gladly pay $1k a month to have access to a designer to set up all our files, rather than have a designer on payroll. (This will be necessary eventually, but for now it should help) I'd guess that I probably spend at least 50% of my time setting up proofs, order confirmations, and making jobs print-ready. My time could definitely be used more wisely....aka bringing in more business which is what I enjoy doing the most anyways.

Andy D

Yes please keep us posted! I'm excited to see the zoom demo today.

Did you sign up for the basic plan?
Not good so far, I submitted a design yesterday & got a response today that I would need to submit all the text (there's a lot of it)
WTF? That's 1/2 the reason I was using them, I hate type setting.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Not good so far, I submitted a design yesterday & got a response today that I would need to submit all the text (there's a lot of it)
WTF? That's 1/2 the reason I was using them, I hate type setting.

Hmm. Well that's not a great start.

So they're asking you to submit all the text already set up in a vector file?

I can bring this up during our zoom demo today and see if that's to be expected or if the designer just doesn't know what they're doing.

Andy D

Hmm. Well that's not a great start.

So they're asking you to submit all the text already set up in a vector file?

I can bring this up during our zoom demo today and see if that's to be expected or if the designer just doesn't know what they're doing.
Yes, or I think it said typed out in an email, so I don't think it needs to be sized or placed, just typed out so they can copy & paste...
I might be a hypocrite, because that's what I try and get my customers to do, but that's not the service I'm looking for.
I would have my program scan and convert all the copy to type, but all I have is the customers hand written note.