• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SUBLIMATION MUG PROBLEM ! WTF IS THIS??? MUG CHICKEN POX

Eduardo Castro

Hello guys, recently I sublimated this mug using a 3D Oven. But when I took I out of the oven, some magenta strains showed in the design and also in the white part like grainy dots. I used Adobe Illustrator to print the artwork, an Epson L210 Printer which I left idle for 4 days so this was my first print since those 4 days. First time happens this, what could this be ??? I just came with a name for this problem MUG CHICKEN POX
wae.jpg

JCinNY

I have a love hate with sublimation. Was there excessive ink on the sheet and did you cool it in water?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Looks like the dye sub receptive coating on the cup is not right;

Eduardo Castro

What was your time and temp and how did you cool it?
195ºC - 9 Minutes and air cooled. A german once told me that when submerged in water the mug develops micro-cracks and thus reduces durability and becomes more fragile so from that day on I cool my mugs with a fan.

Eduardo Castro

I have a love hate with sublimation. Was there excessive ink on the sheet and did you cool it in water?
I started my business with sublimation and has been a pain in the ass. I don't think there was excessive ink because other times mugs come out perfect, with the same printing parameters that I used with this mug. I cool the mugs with a fan.

D2S

Check the paper and see I find sometimes my print settings from Job to job might change controlling that output of ink

captainron19

Looks like Ghosting - first the correct time and temp of a ceramic mug should be 400 degrees F (204c) for 4 minutes. Yes there is a possibility of cracking when submitting in water (actually never do that) - I have been hit or miss with ghosting when it comes to cooling the mug sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. So now, what i do is after pulling the mug to out of the press and removing the transfer I immediately submerge the mug in hot water - that way there is not a giant temperature change so there is no cracking

Kali539

so sorry this thread is so old, i would buy that ugandan knuckles mug. but now i've learned about sublimation problems... we were thinking of trying it out here at our new shop.