• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Please

I don't really have the digital print market yet or the funds for a versacamm, but I do have a market for small window decals (sports stuff) and was wondering if the Roland 600 is worth getting if I can pick one up with new print heads for under 4K.

Is there another brand of printer cutter I should consider.

Thanks
Stu

cdsgraphic

Stu,

I never had one of those roland printers that use the cartridges, but I had heard enough "I hate it" stories to never want one.

The gerber edge is a better machine, and basically prints the same way. But you are limited to the 12" wide print area. You can find them for under 4k, but usually without the plotter to do contour cutting.

Also, with the edge you need some kind of print/cut software that supports the edge. With the roland, i think you can print/cut right from a windows printer driver.

2NinerNiner2

Stuart - as Trevor mentioned, I too have never used that Roland and have heard all the "horror stories" but have over a year on the Edge system and it really is great at what it does. But you are correct with the width limitation and as well, anything but spot color looks, well, by today's inkjet output standards, not that hot. That all being said, if you are looking to get into the printing arena and have the market already for the small widow decals, you should really consider investing in one of the current inkjet systems used by many here. Have a look around and there may be some good deals on used gear as folks are trading up. i.e. VersaCAMM SP-300 to SP-540 or the like.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

cdsgraphic said:
Stu,
The gerber edge is a better machine, and basically prints the same way. But you are limited to the 12" wide print area. You can find them for under 4k, but usually without the plotter to do contour cutting.

Also, with the edge you need some kind of print/cut software that supports the edge. With the roland, i think you can print/cut right from a windows printer driver.

For "sports decals", which anymore I am doing every week, I think a person could pay for an EDGE in a few seasons. There are lots of 'em available used with ridiculously low "time" on the machine. The 15 inch plotters that work very easily with the EDGE also seem to be everywhere quite cheap on the used market.