• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Cutter, Roland Printer, Software? Opos Cam?

Tyler Durden

Hopefully someone can help me with this. So I want a summa cutter but can't decide between the S2 T SERIES S2 160-T ,opos x and the one with "opos-cam". Its pretty confusing to start because the model names are so overly long for a product line of 12 or so. What is the difference from opos-cam vs opos x? I want the barcode action and need basic rip to run this. Im considering caldera but they say they do not support opos cam. I really just want an easy way to make decals and cut through the paper. Please help.

MrSalumi

I've watched the same setup using caldera (at a friends shop).. Trust me that is the way to go. The opos system takes a long time to read and register. The caldera barcode gets scanned once and then it starts cutting right away. When I saw it working I thought to myself how much time i could be saving if I switched. It's cool

FrankW

It's not Caldera, it's OPOS-CAM who don't support OPOS Barcode. So, if you want to use OPOS Barcode, you have to buy the OPOS X-Machines. Supporting RIP's are for example Caldera (as far as I've heard), Ergosoft Posterprint, Onyx Postershop/Productionhouse/Thrive since 10.2, SAi Pixelblaster/GMG Productionsuite and other RIP's basing on that engine.

Onyx 11 (will be released this october) will have a nice feature according to OPOS Barcode: it will print a barcode (with a slightly different value) on the front and on the end of the job, and will generate two plot files, one for every direction the job is inserted into the plotter. So you can use sheets in every direction you want and take rolls of plotjobs directly from the take-up of your printer to the plotter without rewinding.

Suggestion: for the money you have planned to spent for the CAM-System, buy the optional take-up-roller for the cutter. it's a big support for OPOS Barcode Batch Processing.

wallart80

Using mine with wasatch rip. Works great, but as mentioned will only work with the opos x system not the oposcam.
hi mate
i would like to set up print workflow , watched a youtube video showing Wasatch automated print cut (i am guessing thats what you are using) , can you tell me what type of summa cutter i need to buy ? and is it wasatch softrip you are using?

FrankW

Since a few years, OPOS-CAM supports OPOS Barcode too. Had a OPOS-CAM in our showroom last year and have tested it. Works fine.

Unfortunately, OPOS-CAM needs a USB-Connection to the host computer (no network connection possible), and the driver software of the camera is integrated into Summa Cutter Control. So OPOS-CAM isn't supported from any other operating system than Windows. If wanting to use OPOS / OPOS Barcode directly from Caldera, you will have to use regular OPOS X.

But there is a workaround: if having a Windows-PC around, set Caldera to save plot data into a file instead of sending it directly to the cutter. Let Caldera save the file over the network into a folder to which Summa Cutter Control have access too. Use the Barcode Server integrated in Summa Cutter Control to process Barcode Contour Cutting.

But: the only advantage of OPOS-CAM for regular contour cutting is the speed. The disadvantages except that OPOS-CAM works only if connected to a PC by USB is that if the marker isn't in the range of the camera you need to set it manually (OPOS X will search itself). If the speed of marker recognition isn't essential, buy OPOS X.