• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D series vs S series

bigben

I Asked to some dealers and check on the Web to know what is the difference between summa 's D series and S series. The only answers I've got is it have more bells and whistles. I've saw the specs on the website, but it do not reflect real life using/example. Does anyone could answer this?

Thanks.

ProColorGraphics

There is a big difference, hense the price. I started with the D and upgraded to to s class t series. It was well worth the money. Faster, more accurate, etc.

FrankW

The main differences between SummaCut D and S-Class are as follows:

Appearance/Finish

As can be seen on the pictures of the website, the stands of the S-Plotters are much more massiv/stable as the stands of the SummaCuts. You can see and feel the difference for example during high speed plotting, or when pushing the plotters from one place to another specially on uneven grounds (there is more torsion/vibrations on the SummaCuts). The rollers on the back of the machine were you put the media rolls on have a two to three times bigger diameter on the S-Class as on the SummaCuts.

The Basket of the SummaCuts are guided through horizontal rods: so if you don't have the basket in the way in front of the plotter, you will have the rods. The S-Class basket can be completely collapsed back to the stand.

Usability

The SummaCut have a one line LCD-Display to operate the machine. Even for everyday used features like knife pressure or speed you should need Enter a Menu and scroll, enter a Submenu and so on. If having direct light on this display or a big viewing angle, you will have difficulties to read whats on the menu (like every other LCD-Display). The S-Class 2 have a coloured, light, brillant (active matrix as far as I think) Touchscreen-Display, every important functionality can be accessed through the Home screen by just one touch of the finger, one submenu-listing will have multiple items just to touch on (not only one at a time), with numeric input is no need to scroll, for most of that features is a numeric keypad available and so on.

The SummaCut have 4 User Configurations (User 1 to User 4), the S-Class have 8 which can be freely named (for example the vinyl type and so on).

Connectivity

The SummaCut have one USB-port and one serial Port. The S-Class 2 have USB, Network and a USB A-Port for plugging in USB-Sticks to plot plt-files directly from this stick. A possible application: your printer and RIP-Software is not in the room in which you do regular plot jobs. On the S-Class, you could output contour jobs to a file, put it on a stick and do the contour jobs from that stick.

Other technical features

• Automatic Cut-Off feature on the S-Class (manual knife on the SummaCut)
  • OPOS X-Sensor will be lowered and rised from head mechanics (on the SummaCut the head will be moved to plastic pins to lower it mechanically), so less head movement when doing contour cuts
  • SummaCut 800mm/Sek. axial speed, S-Class 1'000mm/Sek., as far as I remember higher acceleration on S-Class too
  • Additional add-ons possible like additional pinch rollers, media rack, take-up-unit and so on
  • and so on

I work at a summa dealer in switzerland, and 90% of the units we sell are S-Class Tangential. We have mostly professional customers, in other markets the sells could differ.

chafro

Hi, I have another question about the summa cutter.. Sorry for the hijack but I guess you got your answer already!

Could I be able to cut squares like 8"x8" in the middle of the print in backlight film?

i have to make monthly many prints 40cms x 150cms. In the middle of this print I have to cut 3 or 4 eight inch squares distributed with in the print.

Could the cutter cut the squares and then the contour? Or only the squares to then use something like a fotoba to trim the contour?

Thanks

chafro

I been reading about flexcut in summa.

Anyone has experience nice with it? How visible are the half cut marks after you press out the cut part? Anyone tried it in thin film?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Never tried the flexcut feature on our S160T so I cannot comment on that. As far as Tangential versus drag knife, not all S class machines have the tangential cutter head, S Class T machines all do. That is what the "T" is on the end of the model numbers. Another important difference on the S class machines is the S class machines also have a secondary x axis servo motor which allows the machine to deal with much heavier materials and rolls. I know our S160T has the dual X axis motors and I "think" that only the S class machines have that.

FrankW

I thought the key difference was one being drag-knife, the other tangential ?

No. There are SummaCut-Drag Knife Plotters, and S-Class Plotters available with Drag- or Tangential Knifes.

Because the question was "D or S", and that it seems that there are just "more bells and whistles" at the S-Models (S Drag- and Tangential Plotters are the same except the cutting head), I had the idea that SummaCut and S-Class needs to be compared.

FrankW

Another important difference on the S class machines is the S class machines also have a secondary x axis servo motor which allows the machine to deal with much heavier materials and rolls.

The D120R, D140R and D160R have two X-Motors too, the D60R have one only.

Thank your for answering about the D- and T-S-Classes, I haven't seen your answer before writing mine :) .