• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa d140 restarting mid-cut

graphicsgarage

Hi All,

I have an issue with my Summa D140 restarting mid-cut. It only really happens on large cuts. It will get to maybe 50% cut then power down and restart. I can cut smaller runs all day long (less than ~5ish) feet but when I throw in a 8ft one it will restart.

Anyone have this issue before? It really sucks to keep having to trash 8ft long prints in the hope that it will work...

FrankW

D140 = which exact model?

The first units of the S-Class 2 of 2013 (maybe you have a S140D?) had that problem in some cases because of effects of electromagnetic radiation to the display cable. The first emergency help was to use a specific, groundable display cable and grounding clamp, the final solution was to add a special plug to a mainboard connector.

If you have a S-Class: have you moved that plotter shortly? Maybe the machine have worked fine except at a new location?

FrankW

So it is a SummaCut OEM, no problems of this kind known.

Check if the network cable or USB-cable is in contact to the metal media rollers at the back of the cutter. And if so, hold it away from them (there is a clamp delivered with the plotter which can be taped on the plotter to guide the cables). If this wont help, check or replace the power supply.

jerry369

I have an issue with my Summa D140 restarting mid-cut. It only really happens on large cuts. It will get to maybe 50% cut then power down and restart. I can cut smaller runs all day long (less than ~5ish) feet but when I throw in a 8ft one it will restart..
May be a defective motor is requiring too much current to the power supply, or a defective power supply is unable to supply the right current requested by the motor, or ...etc etc .
Is autoload activated?

zstekovic

I had the same problem.
The solution is to put the cutter in DHCP mode (no static IP nonsense) and use original cable that comes with it (no other will work correctly if it's not shielded CAT6).
Try and report back...

graphicsgarage

I had the same problem.
The solution is to put the cutter in DHCP mode (no static IP nonsense) and use original cable that comes with it (no other will work correctly if it's not shielded CAT6).
Try and report back...

Thank you!

I was skeptical - but using the CAT6 cable it came with seems to have fixed the issue.

I do IT for a living - static\dynamic shouldn't make a difference. I use static.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

zstekovic

You're welcome.
Problem is that they (HP/Summa) have much noise.
So shielded cable is a must. Still does not explain why static IP is not working though.
Enjoy.